Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   11th May 2010, 16:50

Anyone use DA /Orb ?

Share some of your favourite machines and pads ..... and what you thought of the results

Chemical Guys Hex-Logic - Super !! thumbs up
Lake Country - Select ones OK
Sonus - more expensive pads in their range are better.
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   11th May 2010, 16:59

What do you think Shocked lol!

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   11th May 2010, 17:13

^ Well Moley I knew you wouldn't Rolling Eyes lol

Heaven forbid Bolan would have a nice massage Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SpykeyMyk
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   12th May 2010, 08:06

Iv'e got one but I'm too affraid to use it Its a DA6 or something
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   12th May 2010, 13:08

Why did you buy one then LOL
Back to top Go down
SpykeyMyk
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   12th May 2010, 14:36

I was Given it I need to get hold of a Scrap Bonnet to practise on

Or somebodys Car they dont care too much about lol!
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   14th May 2010, 18:14

^^ Ahh i see - if its D/A, Orbital you should be fine its Rotaries that are dangerous if not used properly - can burn through clearcoat - temperatures get really hot.

But like your thinking with the scrap bonnet - or just borrow a neighbours car LOL
Back to top Go down
Mini S Mad
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Member Number - SnM : 013
Female

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   14th May 2010, 19:50

JCWadventures wrote:
^^ Ahh i see - if its D/A, Orbital you should be fine its Rotaries that are dangerous if not used properly - can burn through clearcoat - temperatures get really hot.

But like your thinking with the scrap bonnet - or just borrow a neighbours car LOL

Or Bolan if u can get through the layers of dirt thats cementted on Neer Neer lol! Wink Razz getcoat (sorry couldnt resist!!!!)
Back to top Go down
nortonski_snr

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   14th May 2010, 23:05

I have a Festool Rotex 125, awsome lil machine Wink

In terms of pads:

Swissvax Padtower - LUDICROUSLY expensive for 5 pads, but good results
3M Perfect-it III - good value, nice to work with Finishing pad's awsome
Sonus Pads - some nice pads, not found anything special

Wouldn't mind trying the Hex-Logic if they're any good...

Here's our last Land Cruiser showing damage from an older style auto carwash...unfortunately the car was 3 months old & whilst the wife was in the swirl 'o' matic she wondered why I'd told her not to use it....she scratched EVERY panel on the car...

Still it was a good excuse to buy some shiny new toys & products Wink

Here's a reflection shot after correction of the same panel:

I really like my Festool, however, I don't believe in regular paint correction to within micron of your clearcoat...

Do you have a PTG Taylor?
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   15th May 2010, 17:02

^ Nice work there clap - What pad/polish did you use - cracking results

I had a PTG / PDG but it went walkies when i let an old 'friend' borrow it and it never came back Rolling Eyes to say i was P!$$ED OFF is an understatement considering £195 down the drain. To be honest if you are using a DAS apposed to a Rotary your pretty safe. I see that you are using Rotary.

Agreed on the micron front ! if the car is washed properly shouldnt need to keep being corrected anyway !

Do you have one ?
Back to top Go down
nortonski_snr

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   16th May 2010, 20:43

Thanks Wink

Due to the quite bad marring & swirls I hit it for the first set with Swissvax Strong Polish with a Sonus DAS II Green pad, the results weren't bad but it needed more so moved up to the Sonus DAS II Swirlbuster, that did the trick.

Followed by a 3rd & final set with the Sonus DAS II Blue & Swissvax Cleaner Fluid & a coat of Swissvax Shield.

The Festool Rotex 125 is a forced rotation random orbital machine that provides considerably better correction capabilities in comparison to a standard DA, although it is safer to use than a rotary it can still do some damage if you're not careful.

I always mask up now as I have caught a door handle in the past as it's quite torqey & ALWAYS use a number of short sets to achieve the correction required in order to keep the panel as cool as possible.

I have had a Defelsko PosiTector 200 as I wanted to see the thickness of clear coats & paint layers, worked well on composites etc but rarely used it tbh so sold it for more than I paid for it (significantly) & bought the Detailing World PTG which is VERY similar to the PosiTector DFT for less than half the price.

If you're considering another & you'd like to try it before buying one let me know, very easy to calibrate & works well.

Polish wise I have quite a selection on hand, the 3M range as samples (yet to use), bunch of Megs & the FULL range of Swissvax (I really like the Professional as it doesn't need to be followed by the Cleaner Fluid unlike Strong & Medium)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !   

Back to top Go down

Anyone Use DA / Orbital Machine Polishers ? Lets talk pads !

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Cleaning & Detailing-