Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 12:19

Now before all of you lot make comedic jokes about car cleaning (Yes Dave, I'm looking at you, you too Dawn!!) It does happen once in a while although my efforts are rarely appreciated by my fellow enthusiasts!

ANYWAY!

I, once again, have done the "5 issues for £5" Evo magazine subscription - although I am running out of addresses to keep sending them to so they don't clock me that I'm not paying the £4.40 per issue I should be paying!

Every time I subscribe, I get a free gift, and this time it was a 250ml tub of Ultra Mint RP Wax. Now normally I would throw a free gift like that away instantly as I don't really trust freebies, but this time I decided to have a butchers on Detailing World to see the opinion: Ultra Mint - Detailing World

Now they are sponsors over there, so if can't be too bad, and it seems to get good reviews - therefore I may well give it a go.

Anyone heard of or used this before? T - any opinions? Turns out it will make Bolan smell minty fresh too!

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 13:13

Its a very new product Moley - but from what i have heard it can be compared Zymol Vintage and smells just like Vics Vapour Rub - but the proof is in the pudding ... i mean testing (im hungry Very Happy )

I haven't tried the stuff yet but i have ordered a tester post to see what its like - only a tester as i can find nowhere what the ingredients are Rolling Eyes - i.e. loads of synthetic wax etc or not Question

See good thing with DoDo Juice is you are getting the yellow T1 grade Carnauba Wax - from the rainforest palms and no heavy loaded synthetic cr*p like Auto Glym or the worst culprit : Meguiars Rolling Eyes

Do get me wrong most waxs now have some sort of additive etc but stay with the worth while stuff and you get MUCH better results Wink

As said i cant really comment at this stage as i havent tried it yet but i will no doubt return back and be faithful to DoDo and Zymol Wink

Ohh and if its free - no harm Very Happy
Back to top Go down
megmini56

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 13:15

Any wax is better than no wax at all moley!
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 13:15

megmini56 wrote:
Any wax is better than no wax at all moley!

Too true sir, too true cheers

Although watery Meguiars just washes off when it rains Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 13:17

Watch it Rossco! Bolan is always waxed......beneath the dirt!! Neer Neer

Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 13:18

Thanks T - I thought you might say that. I will give it a go, and/or if I remember let you know what kind of wax it has in it Smile

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 13:29

Moleatrude wrote:
Thanks T - I thought you might say that. I will give it a go, and/or if I remember let you know what kind of wax it has in it Smile

No probs Very Happy

Ohh and Moley wax does deteriorate if not sealed and car not washed regularly !!

So concluding ............. Bolan now has no wax on him !
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 13:44

Prove it! Neer Neer

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 13:58

Moleatrude wrote:
Prove it! Neer Neer

No because proving it would involve showing you the non-protection on your car then washing to show you the protection Exclamation

Not happening Moley No

Last edited by JCWadventures on 20th May 2010, 20:25; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 14:07

Dammit! You win this round! Razz

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 14:07

Nice try Suspect !!
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 14:16

One day it will work........but I suppose one day I will also discover that you are not a real person and you are actually Dave in disguise as he is the only person who HAS 'Met you' Neer Neer

Mini S Mad
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Member Number - SnM : 013
Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 14:17

How come I got mentioned when it comes to winding u up Wink

Great Sparring & Nice try Buddy but just new T wouldn't fall for that one Wink

I believe when we see the results & Bolan will act get a valet, The first in how many months Wink scratch

We need photo evedince
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Member Number - SnM : 029
Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 14:19

The best wax in the world is AG Aquawax

(retreats and takes cover)
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 14:28

Moleatrude wrote:
One day it will work........but I suppose one day I will also discover that you are not a real person and you are actually Dave in disguise as he is the only person who HAS 'Met you' Neer Neer

So Dave gave himself 2nd GEN carparts just for a laugh lol

I met him at Barons so i could give him the new gear knob for Chris and the other bits and pieces ! thats why he is the only person who has seen me Neer Neer

and Moley are you actually going to use the wax Question
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 15:00

When I next have a free weekend I am properly cleaning Bolan - No getting bored halfway through like is normal for me. He needs it and I am always pissed of that I do a half arsed job. I always find myself claying him when I do wash because I haven't put on enough layers of polish and wax to properly protect him so it makes it so much harder to get him clean next time. Kinda shooting myself in the foot.

I just get bored cleaning the car on my own, I need company Sad I like James and my cleaning day, we spent ages on our cars...maybe I can convince him that we should do it again

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   20th May 2010, 18:40

^ Exactly to get the perfect finish you have to do it in full and properly Very Happy thumbs up

AND ..... with no sponges Wink
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   21st May 2010, 10:14

Sponges are gone now....promise!!!

I looked on the back of the wax today T and there is no ingredients list Sad Maybe drop them an email?

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   21st May 2010, 13:00

Good ! thumbs up

Hmmm thats odd Suspect i shall drop them a line ... when i get round to it Very Happy

Obviously a mint scent in there Laughing
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   8th June 2010, 10:44

OK - Time for a quick review of the Ultra Mint Wax

Hopefully T will get a chance to use her sample pot, but I will let you know my thoughts so far.

Firstly, YES Taylor, I did clean Bolan, and yes it did take 6 hours and yes other people have seen the car so there is proof, and no, I am not taking pictures because you should trust me Neer Neer

I started off Friday morning with a little, much needed trip to Halfrauds to pick up a few replacement bits a pieces - I was on a budget, but I have made my mistake about buying Halfords own stuff! NEVER again!:

Actually surprised me with how good this was, lifted off all the dirt and was very easy to clean, created lots of suds!

- New Microfibres
- More Tar remover
- More Wheel cleaner
- Tyre Blackener
- Disposable polishing cloths (recommended by Paul - Soopercooper)
- Wheel brush

Anyway, I cleaned the car......job done, but to the Wax.

The first coat I was quite liberal with it. It did smell quite Minty but it doesn't really smell once its on the car. It was quite thick to put on, took quite a lot of effort to rub it in. I left it of an on for about an hour checking on how it looked (car was in the shade throughout the whole process) and after an hour it didn't look like it was drying so I went to work removing the excess. It was HARD work. It was just as hard to get off as it was to put on and I instantly thought it was down to having put too much on. Once it was removed and buffed I let it dry a little longer and applied a second thinner coat. I didn't leave it as long and had the same problem. Third coat, same problem.

The shine was good, I found out my car looks better in a matte finish rather then a metallic one (Phil.....Matte Dark silver wrap?? ha ha!) But I'm not sure the wax will be that easy to live with. I will try it a few more times, but I would only give it 6-7/10 as it is a pain in the bum!

T - let me know your thoughts when you have a change to try it out Smile

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   8th June 2010, 17:54

Firstly Moley you left your wax on for 1 HR probably more if you did the whole car and left it to stand and buy the time you had done all the panels some had caked on longer - no wonder it was hard to get off - you should never let wax 'cake on' (most waxes state this on the pot) Shocked you should do a panel at a time Shocked

Did you apply the wax thinly ? as should put loads on that may have added to the difficulty
Hard/Soft waxes are very different you your Megs spray on jobbie,what did you use to apply the wax ? and what was used to buff it off ?

I have tried mine and i have to say im not a fan doesn't last that long - oh well trial and error
Back to top Go down
Moleatrude
Admin
Admin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   9th June 2010, 17:39

I only left it for a long time because it was still so heavy. I think less and quick on/off might be better, but I still don't like the stuff. Comes with no instructions or guidelines, not that impressed.

My roof needs re-doing already, no good beads at all. Side panels are ok, but it is not the best I have used. Maybe a few more coats, but if it washes off so quick its not worth it.....may be dodo time - where is my credit card....!!

JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   9th June 2010, 17:44

Yeh no still shouldn't leave it that long sounds like you put too much on !

I agree washes of way to quickly hence the reason i only brought a sample pot, stick to my DoDo and Zymol me thinks
Back to top Go down
*Vikki*

Female

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   9th June 2010, 18:48

Victoria wax is great for dark cars!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!   

Back to top Go down

Taylor - I need your opinion on Ultra Mint Wax!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Cleaning & Detailing-