Surrey New MINI Owners Club
 
HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in


click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 
 

 Air induction kits

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottyrocket

avatar

Location : basingstoke
Join date : 2011-10-25
Posts : 68
Points : 91
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Air induction kits   22nd November 2011, 23:04

Can anyone reccomened a decent air induction kit on a budget, I think i'm gonna get one for xmas cheers , anyone know if these are any good:-

http://www.passionauto.co.uk/products/quikshift-air-filter-induction-kit-for-mini-cooper-s-qr-if-102.html
Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   22nd November 2011, 23:11

Link does not work for me.

For the r53 dave f induction kit is the best. Head over to mini torque to get hold of one of those. They are produced in batches though so may be hard to get hold of one.

Failing that make sure you get a enclosed kit as opposed to an open cone filter as you will loose power from an open one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
scottyrocket

avatar

Location : basingstoke
Join date : 2011-10-25
Posts : 68
Points : 91
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   22nd November 2011, 23:18

Andy wrote:
Link does not work for me.

For the r53 dave f induction kit is the best. Head over to mini torque to get hold of one of those. They are produced in batches though so may be hard to get hold of one.

Failing that make sure you get a enclosed kit as opposed to an open cone filter as you will loose power from an open one.
Cheers for that mate, the air filter above is a QUIKSHIFT Air Filter Induction Kit for Mini Cooper S
Back to top Go down
scottyrocket

avatar

Location : basingstoke
Join date : 2011-10-25
Posts : 68
Points : 91
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   22nd November 2011, 23:21

Do you have a link for Mini Torques shop?
Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   22nd November 2011, 23:32

http://www.minitorque.com/forum/forum.php

Not a shop mate it's another forum one of the members over their makes them.

The one you have shown above is an open filter so I would stay away from it as it will suck in hot air into the engine resulting in loss of power.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
DavidB



Join date : 2010-10-15
Posts : 282
Points : 363
Reputation : 12
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 03:18

Another vote for the dave.f induction kit - it's what I run on the racing MINI. It draws extra air in from the scuttles in front of the windscreen.. The only one than comes close to being as good is the JCW (210) airbox which also draws extra air in from the scuttles. Overall though the dave.f wins everytime..
Back to top Go down
bruce62
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : sunbury
Member Number - SnM : 62
Join date : 2010-01-31
Posts : 1607
Points : 1680
Reputation : 33
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 08:59

Dave f thumbs up
Back to top Go down
scottyrocket

avatar

Location : basingstoke
Join date : 2011-10-25
Posts : 68
Points : 91
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 12:11

I am not sure I want the Dave F one as I think I want to buy one from a bigger company, tempted though.
Back to top Go down
scottyrocket

avatar

Location : basingstoke
Join date : 2011-10-25
Posts : 68
Points : 91
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 15:26

I think this is the one i'm gonna opt for, anyone had one or any experience of these air induction kits:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-Cold-Air-Filter-Maxflow-Induction-Kit-Mini-Cooper-S-LIFETIME-WARRANTY-/260894017144?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D390349925126%252B390349925126%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4399959429282291212
Back to top Go down
jimkim

avatar

Location : Didcot
Join date : 2011-11-23
Posts : 82
Points : 97
Reputation : 0
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 16:15

Fitted a Dave F today and i gotta say i was impressed right away ! sounds fab and Dave's a good guy to deal with deffo recomend !
Back to top Go down
paul d r56
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
avatar

Location : London the big city
Join date : 2010-01-11
Posts : 872
Points : 953
Reputation : 39
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 16:25

Scotty, whilst i admire you for trying something new in the market place please don't waste your money, the dave f is the best after market air filter for the R53 this has a proven track record and note the actual filter used inside is a k&n one of the most respected filter company in the world.
Back to top Go down
scottyrocket

avatar

Location : basingstoke
Join date : 2011-10-25
Posts : 68
Points : 91
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 18:10

What have people with the Dave F told there insurance companies, when asked what filter has been fitted.
Back to top Go down
bruce62
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : sunbury
Member Number - SnM : 62
Join date : 2010-01-31
Posts : 1607
Points : 1680
Reputation : 33
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 18:32

The dave f looks like a standard air filter. You would have to take it apart to know it was an after market mod , I didn't tell my insurance when I fitted one . Wink
Back to top Go down
jimkim

avatar

Location : Didcot
Join date : 2011-11-23
Posts : 82
Points : 97
Reputation : 0
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 18:53

As above keep silent and they will never know Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bruce62
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : sunbury
Member Number - SnM : 62
Join date : 2010-01-31
Posts : 1607
Points : 1680
Reputation : 33
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 19:05

You will also find most induction kits just suck in hot air not cold where as the dave f is sealed and draws air in from the front air intake and from the vent in front of the windscreen , and as as we all know cold air is denser than hot so your engine will produce more bhp the cooler the air entering it is . Very Happy


Last edited by bruce62 on 23rd November 2011, 21:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jack_st

avatar

Location : Thatcham
Join date : 2010-03-06
Posts : 4009
Points : 4533
Reputation : 99
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 19:41

gtt tuning inducton kit is also worth looking at. Ive never had any problems with heat soak with it.
Back to top Go down
DavidB



Join date : 2010-10-15
Posts : 282
Points : 363
Reputation : 12
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 19:52

scottyrocket wrote:
What have people with the Dave F told there insurance companies, when asked what filter has been fitted.

My insurance are only interested in power increase - not who it's made by but if they ask say K&N..
Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 20:32

jack_st wrote:
gtt tuning inducton kit is also worth looking at. Ive never had any problems with heat soak with it.

You prob have just noticed it. If you dyno'ed your car with the gtt then the dave f i bet the enclosed induction would produce more power.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
JAS
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
avatar

Location : Leatherhead
Join date : 2010-02-20
Posts : 940
Points : 1024
Reputation : 25

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   23rd November 2011, 21:11

Dave.f - I declared it as a performance air filter - no probs. Go for it you won't be dissapointed Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bruce62
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : sunbury
Member Number - SnM : 62
Join date : 2010-01-31
Posts : 1607
Points : 1680
Reputation : 33
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   24th November 2011, 11:41

A plus also with the dave f is it has a high second hand value so when the time comes to sell you get most of your money back thumbs up
Back to top Go down
scottyrocket

avatar

Location : basingstoke
Join date : 2011-10-25
Posts : 68
Points : 91
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   24th November 2011, 17:19

Hi thanks for the advice, I have decided against the Dave F one, I just feel more comfortable buying from a company and have decidedon trying this kit, it also says this:-

This is a full satin black aluminium enclosed cold air induction system for the vehicle below. These kits diminish the "heat soak" of the engine bay that is detrimental to the open cone type of induction kit. In other words, with a Max-Flow you can dirve hard and know that your engine is sucking in as cool as possible air... thus producing as much power as possible. Plus the subtle note these kits give is just right.

Recent rolling road tests indicated up to 15% improvment over ITG, Pipercross and K&N Kits

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-BMW-MINI-COOPER-S-Cold-Air-Filter-Maxflow-Nero-Induction-Kit-CAI-/390366956547?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D390339296054%252B390339296054%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4422737256533867063

Back to top Go down
bruce62
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : sunbury
Member Number - SnM : 62
Join date : 2010-01-31
Posts : 1607
Points : 1680
Reputation : 33
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   24th November 2011, 18:20

Ok , let us know how you get on with it .
Back to top Go down
jack_st

avatar

Location : Thatcham
Join date : 2010-03-06
Posts : 4009
Points : 4533
Reputation : 99
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   24th November 2011, 19:53

Andy wrote:
jack_st wrote:
gtt tuning inducton kit is also worth looking at. Ive never had any problems with heat soak with it.

You prob have just noticed it. If you dyno'ed your car with the gtt then the dave f i bet the enclosed induction would produce more power.


when i did santa pod after queing for a while i didnt notice any different of power loss with a hot engine.on my old focus st i had a k/n typhoon induction kit and clocked up 140k and never had trouble with heat soak.
Back to top Go down
Alex_MCS



Location : West Sussex
Join date : 2009-08-11
Posts : 393
Points : 454
Reputation : 24
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   24th November 2011, 20:09

scottyrocket wrote:
Hi thanks for the advice, I have decided against the Dave F one, I just feel more comfortable buying from a company and have decidedon trying this kit, it also says this:-

This is a full satin black aluminium enclosed cold air induction system for the vehicle below. These kits diminish the "heat soak" of the engine bay that is detrimental to the open cone type of induction kit. In other words, with a Max-Flow you can dirve hard and know that your engine is sucking in as cool as possible air... thus producing as much power as possible. Plus the subtle note these kits give is just right.

Recent rolling road tests indicated up to 15% improvment over ITG, Pipercross and K&N Kits

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RAMAIR-BMW-MINI-COOPER-S-Cold-Air-Filter-Maxflow-Nero-Induction-Kit-CAI-/390366956547?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D390339296054%252B390339296054%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4422737256533867063

Looks like a pile of eBay rubbish to me. You'd be better off with a Dave.F, but good luck with it.

jack_st wrote:
Andy wrote:
jack_st wrote:
gtt tuning inducton kit is also worth looking at. Ive never had any problems with heat soak with it.

You prob have just noticed it. If you dyno'ed your car with the gtt then the dave f i bet the enclosed induction would produce more power.


when i did santa pod after queing for a while i didnt notice any different of power loss with a hot engine.on my old focus st i had a k/n typhoon induction kit and clocked up 140k and never had trouble with heat soak.
Once intake temperatures are above 55C, the MINI ECU reduces power. Not much you can do to prevent it in the Santa Pod queue to be fair, the engine will be cooking the intercooler anyway.
Back to top Go down
jimkim

avatar

Location : Didcot
Join date : 2011-11-23
Posts : 82
Points : 97
Reputation : 0
Male

PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   25th November 2011, 10:40

No Don't do it GET A DAVE F !!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Air induction kits   

Back to top Go down
 

Air induction kits

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 1st Gen-