Surrey New MINI Owners Club
 
HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in


click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 
 

 Is this noise normal?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
dave_a

avatar

Location : Swanley, Kent
Join date : 2012-04-08
Posts : 153
Points : 186
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:09

Okay so I've been tweaking my cooper s, r56 2008. It's had a stage 1 remap with no mods takin it to 209.8bhp (according to Sanspeed), and since then I've added an evolve sports cat, cat back exhaust, forge uprated diverter valve (with stiffy spring), forge BoV, samco turbo hoses (with thanks to Tom!), Alta CAI (thanks again Tom!), M7 vortex 2 hood scoop, and now I'm slightly worried

Apart from needing a remap to get the extra gains, I'm really not sure of the noise it makes when lifting off the gas. It's something to do with the Alta CAI but as I can't find any videos to compare it against I'm not sure if it's normal, has anyone heard this before???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOo7WG2h5Vw


Back to top Go down
PhilK
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7
avatar

Location : Ewell
Member Number - SnM : 073
Join date : 2010-02-04
Posts : 6855
Points : 7350
Reputation : 271
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:12

I'd hope it is, it's what I'm expecting my Forge Blow off Valve to sound like when I get it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sixgreenbottles.co.uk
dave_a

avatar

Location : Swanley, Kent
Join date : 2012-04-08
Posts : 153
Points : 186
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:15

The BoV is okay on it's own but sounds a bit pony if you don't have a stainless cat back behind it. Needs to growl as well as pssshhhh!
Back to top Go down
paul d r56
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
avatar

Location : London the big city
Join date : 2010-01-11
Posts : 872
Points : 953
Reputation : 39
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:28

Have to say that sound right for the Alta CAI, i had one installed on mine i really liked the sound, went back to stage 1 CAI as you do get heat soak in the open filter type as the turbo gets so hot the air that passes over it gets hot and travels straight onto the filter unless you have Alta heatshied on or direct air flow with heat shield covering it.
I do miss the sound of it though.How you getting on with evolve exhaust, i think its too quite?
Back to top Go down
PhilK
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7
avatar

Location : Ewell
Member Number - SnM : 073
Join date : 2010-02-04
Posts : 6855
Points : 7350
Reputation : 271
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:28

It's on the list. Need to get the Indian Grand Prix out of the way first!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sixgreenbottles.co.uk
dave_a

avatar

Location : Swanley, Kent
Join date : 2012-04-08
Posts : 153
Points : 186
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:42

paul d r56 wrote:
Have to say that sound right for the Alta CAI, i had one installed on mine i really liked the sound, went back to stage 1 CAI as you do get heat soak in the open filter type as the turbo gets so hot the air that passes over it gets hot and travels straight onto the filter unless you have Alta heatshied on or direct air flow with heat shield covering it.
I do miss the sound of it though.How you getting on with evolve exhaust, i think its too quite?

Well it's got the m7 vortex hood scoop which discharges most of the turbo heat, and it still has the original air intake behind the filter. Was thinking of making a funnel from the scoop directly to the filter but need to get some free time, may b this summer

Would like to see what others think when we all go to BrandsHatch
Back to top Go down
dave_a

avatar

Location : Swanley, Kent
Join date : 2012-04-08
Posts : 153
Points : 186
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:49

The evolve exhaust is okay, not crazy loud but gets better as the car warms up. Actually looking for a pipe to completely remove the silencer with the flange that connects to the cat. Any ideas???
Back to top Go down
paul d r56
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
avatar

Location : London the big city
Join date : 2010-01-11
Posts : 872
Points : 953
Reputation : 39
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:50

dave_a wrote:
paul d r56 wrote:
Have to say that sound right for the Alta CAI, i had one installed on mine i really liked the sound, went back to stage 1 CAI as you do get heat soak in the open filter type as the turbo gets so hot the air that passes over it gets hot and travels straight onto the filter unless you have Alta heatshied on or direct air flow with heat shield covering it.
I do miss the sound of it though.How you getting on with evolve exhaust, i think its too quite?

Well it's got the m7 vortex hood scoop which discharges most of the turbo heat, and it still has the original air intake behind the filter. Was thinking of making a funnel from the scoop directly to the filter but need to get some free time, may b this summer

Would like to see what others think when we all go to BrandsHatch

That would be great to make a funnel, ievolve tested there simota CAI (carbon fibre) and out performs Fjcw and open filters. I look forward to seeing it and hearing it, i take it you work as a engineer or body shop etc.
Back to top Go down
dave_a

avatar

Location : Swanley, Kent
Join date : 2012-04-08
Posts : 153
Points : 186
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:54

Ha no! IT manager, just like trying my hand at things
Back to top Go down
paul d r56
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
avatar

Location : London the big city
Join date : 2010-01-11
Posts : 872
Points : 953
Reputation : 39
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 21:56

dave_a wrote:
The evolve exhaust is okay, not crazy loud but gets better as the car warms up. Actually looking for a pipe to completely remove the silencer with the flange that connects to the cat. Any ideas???

Do you mean the resonator, if so i had this removed from mine when i was running a JCW tunning kit exhaust with de-cat the noise was addicted if a little loud at times. Any good exhaust fabricator will make you a stainless stell part for this section for aroung 150-200 pounds.
If you do go ahead be prepared for some drone in the cabin, myself i changed my exhaust configaration to Challenge cup back box, stealth cat (Removal of NOX filter of oem down pipe) and then had a 80mm jetex DB in line box fitted, the car sounds like a V8.
Back to top Go down
dave_a

avatar

Location : Swanley, Kent
Join date : 2012-04-08
Posts : 153
Points : 186
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 22:03

Yeah think it's the resonator Sounds interesting, not looking to pay out loads though and really not interested in a drone as that would to my head in :-(. Any clips of yours??

Back to top Go down
dave_a

avatar

Location : Swanley, Kent
Join date : 2012-04-08
Posts : 153
Points : 186
Reputation : 1
Male

PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   30th April 2012, 22:10

I just want it to pop like a touring car really :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Is this noise normal?   

Back to top Go down
 

Is this noise normal?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 2nd Gen-