Member Number - SnM : 310
Male

PostSubject: Re: JCW Paceman vs. BMW M135i   16th June 2013, 12:14

Car magazine:

BMW gets 5 stars

M135i review click here

Merc A45 gets 4 stars

A45 Review click here

This is even more pertinent as the "new" car reviewed tends to come out on top in any comparison. Look forward to the 3 way battle (inc S3).
Back to top Go down
Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: JCW Paceman vs. BMW M135i   16th June 2013, 12:26

I know of a few r56s that get caned everywhere that have coked up, infact even some of the challenge cars have.

where coking is mentioned - there are more on the internet too.
Here's a thread

I'm saying the a45 has too much power from a 4 cylinder, it's asking for trouble.
Back to top Go down
Jonotaff

Male

PostSubject: Re: JCW Paceman vs. BMW M135i   16th June 2013, 12:38

Moon wrote:
I know of a few r56s that get caned everywhere that have coked up, infact even some of the challenge cars have.

where coking is mentioned - there are more on the internet too.
Here's a thread

I'm saying the a45 has too much power from a 4 cylinder, it's asking for trouble.

Agree with your point on the A45, reliability may prove an issue but AMG I am sure would not have resolved it if they weren't 100% certain......but 26psi, 26!!!!! bloody hell! :-)

The thread you have linked to is from 2010 and the M135i uses a different engine so no direct link, not to say it won't happen though!!

As far a as decoking by a good thrash I am only going by what Kev at SRR told me (he builds and runs the truck align Mini Challenge cars) but I concede it is a design flaw.

Last edited by Jonotaff on 16th June 2013, 18:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jonotaff

Male

PostSubject: Re: JCW Paceman vs. BMW M135i   16th June 2013, 13:13

Probably the best review to date: http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/121599-bmw-m135i-review
Back to top Go down
Jelster

Member Number - SnM : 011
Male

PostSubject: Re: JCW Paceman vs. BMW M135i   11th November 2013, 21:59

So, I'm just about to commit to an M135i.

I've looked, and tested a few motors over the last week, then configured them similar to the BMW, and nothing comes close.

New Golf GTI - by the time I've added the performance pack (still only 235 bhp) leather, nav, sound and a few other bits it comes out at around £35k. Very nice looking car though.

S3 - similar, but more expensive - I found the drive a bit "numb"

AMG A45 - Quick, and nice cabin, but it starts at £37k, by the time I've added a few bits it;s just shy of £50k

The Paceman was interesting, and actually much better than I expected, if it wasn't for the BMW I'd have taken the Paceman.

However, the BMW with that 8 speed auto is bloody amazing.  In Sport the gear shift on the paddles is instant, better than the AMG and that has a dual clutch gearbox.   It feels more grown up than a Mini, and the sound.....  The sound is amazing.

So an M135, comes with leather, keyless start, auto lights & wipers with rain sensors for £30k.  The gearbox is £1600, but when you add nav, sound and a few other bits and then do a deal it's £35k.  The BMW comes with a lot as standard.  The only thing I can't decide on is the colour Rolleyes Rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Jonotaff

Male

PostSubject: Re: JCW Paceman vs. BMW M135i   11th November 2013, 23:53

Jelster wrote:
So, I'm just about to commit to an M135i.

I've looked, and tested a few motors over the last week, then configured them similar to the BMW, and nothing comes close.

New Golf GTI - by the time I've added the performance pack (still only 235 bhp) leather, nav, sound and a few other bits it comes out at around £35k.  Very nice looking car though.

S3 - similar, but more expensive - I found the drive a bit "numb"

AMG A45 - Quick, and nice cabin, but it starts at £37k, by the time I've added a few bits it;s just shy of £50k

The Paceman was interesting, and actually much better than I expected, if it wasn't for the BMW I'd have taken the Paceman.

However, the BMW with that 8 speed auto is bloody amazing.  In Sport the gear shift on the paddles is instant, better than the AMG and that has a dual clutch gearbox.   It feels more grown up than a Mini, and the sound.....  The sound is amazing.

So an M135, comes with leather, keyless start, auto lights & wipers with rain sensors for £30k.  The gearbox is £1600, but when you add nav, sound and a few other bits and then do a deal it's £35k.  The BMW comes with a lot as standard.  The only thing I can't decide on is the colour Rolleyes Rolleyes
Don't think you will regret it! 7 months in and I am still loving it. If it has one slight flaw is that the electric steering felt a bit numb at first (same as most cars nowadays) but you get used to and it is so accurate that it's still a cracking B road blaster. Are you going to spec the LSD?

BTW have a look on BabyBMW as it's a wealth of info. I would join you but got banned :-( trolls love to give abuse but not so good at taking it! Great forum but there is a long term "opinion" clique which is disappointing. Just got fed up with it tbh.

Anyway enjoy the purchase and perhaps we can compare notes at one of the meets (although we will probably have to park so way away!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JCW Paceman vs. BMW M135i   

Back to top Go down

JCW Paceman vs. BMW M135i

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: Bits & Bobs :: News-