Surrey New MINI Owners Club
 
HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in


click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 
 

 Power down?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2


Location : Orpington
Join date : 2013-06-23
Posts : 109
Points : 147
Reputation : 4
Male

PostSubject: Power down?   18th August 2013, 12:12

Hi, after attending the Minicraft rolling road session, I'm a bit disappointed at my figures. Everyone else was achieving more than they had hoped for except me:cry: 
My FJCW was running at 206. With only 12k on the clock, the engine should be in tip top order. Any thoughts ? Or was the engine built on a Friday by a bloke who was leaving!!
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22412
Points : 24241
Reputation : 589
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 12:47

Not sure, did you ask them if they had any idea?

Do you use 99 grade fuel?

_________________
dvyby062
"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
Moon

avatar

Join date : 2011-07-10
Posts : 2222
Points : 2329
Reputation : 106
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 12:49

It's only 5 down - could be dyno inaccuracy or anything! Shouldn't worry, but as Dave says are you using super unleaded, and has the engine had a service etc recently?
Back to top Go down
AM_AUTOS

avatar

Location : United Kingdom
Member Number - SnM : 786
Join date : 2012-04-17
Posts : 2074
Points : 2494
Reputation : 105
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 13:22

Better fuel plays a part

Only put V power in mine

Regular only changes like I do

Once every year if you do low mileage

I change mine every 10,000 miles as i do alot miles every year


People forget that every ECU is different and will adjust accordingly
Back to top Go down
http://www.jcwadventures.com
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2


Location : Orpington
Join date : 2013-06-23
Posts : 109
Points : 147
Reputation : 4
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 14:33

Yes, yes and yes! Only ever use V power and had a service with new plugs a month ago. I didn't ask why - stupid I know. The car gets used daily buy the wife (she should be married to James May as she drives like captain slow). Coked up?
Back to top Go down
Moon

avatar

Join date : 2011-07-10
Posts : 2222
Points : 2329
Reputation : 106
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 15:48

How old is it? Wouldn't expect it to be coked up, but things most probably aren't as fluid as they could be. Mine doesn't get much of a good run, and I can certainly see a noticeable difference after it's been on a motorway for example. Things are probably just a bit tight, nothing serious I shouldn't imagine.
Back to top Go down
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2


Location : Orpington
Join date : 2013-06-23
Posts : 109
Points : 147
Reputation : 4
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 17:04

Moon wrote:
How old is it?  Wouldn't expect it to be coked up, but things most probably aren't as fluid as they could be.  Mine doesn't get much of a good run, and I can certainly see a noticeable difference after it's been on a motorway for example.  Things are probably just a bit tight, nothing serious I shouldn't imagine.

2011 - August time I think, so 2 years old. I have reported here and on totalmini that it never has been one for popping either. I also commented that sometime it feels a bit sluggish. I got an ITG panel filter but only received it before a long journey and therefore removed it as I didn't want any issues while I was away. I have not yet put it back on.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22412
Points : 24241
Reputation : 589
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 20:38

Mine was new in September 2011. had it's first service about 3 weeks ago, new oil & filter. new plugs (JCW's get plugs every service), Now done 12900 miles, used daily to commute & pleasure at weekends.

I use Tesco Momentum99 which I have found to give better MPG than Shell Nitro.

Mine doesn't pop & bang much either, pretty sure that it had the ECU flash when built that dealers were using to remove the pops. I have enquired if it can be re instated but it can't!

_________________
dvyby062
"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2


Location : Orpington
Join date : 2013-06-23
Posts : 109
Points : 147
Reputation : 4
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 20:57

Davyboy wrote:
Mine was new in September 2011. had it's first service about 3 weeks ago, new oil & filter. new plugs (JCW's get plugs every service), Now done 12900 miles, used daily to commute & pleasure at weekends.

I use Tesco Momentum99 which I have found to give better MPG than Shell Nitro.

Mine doesn't pop & bang much either, pretty sure that it had the ECU flash when built that dealers were using to remove the pops. I have enquired if it can be re instated but it can't!
Thanks Dave for your reply. I'm pretty sure I've had the flash too. The car sometimes feels a tad sluggish but still love the whole FJCW thing. On the day, I'm the only one who didn't achieve their expectations. You mut have been chuffed with your 230+. Razz 
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22412
Points : 24241
Reputation : 589
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 21:09

Dermottdog wrote:
Davyboy wrote:
Mine was new in September 2011. had it's first service about 3 weeks ago, new oil & filter. new plugs (JCW's get plugs every service), Now done 12900 miles, used daily to commute & pleasure at weekends.

I use Tesco Momentum99 which I have found to give better MPG than Shell Nitro.

Mine doesn't pop & bang much either, pretty sure that it had the ECU flash when built that dealers were using to remove the pops. I have enquired if it can be re instated but it can't!
Thanks Dave for your reply. I'm pretty sure I've had the flash too. The car sometimes feels a tad sluggish but still love the whole FJCW thing. On the day, I'm the only one who didn't achieve their expectations. You mut have been chuffed with your 230+. Razz 
Yes for sure although watching someone rev the hell out of your car makes your gut do a 360 lol! 

_________________
dvyby062
"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
AM_AUTOS

avatar

Location : United Kingdom
Member Number - SnM : 786
Join date : 2012-04-17
Posts : 2074
Points : 2494
Reputation : 105
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 21:55

Yours just needs some abused

U need to join us on some B & A road blasts
Back to top Go down
http://www.jcwadventures.com
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2


Location : Orpington
Join date : 2013-06-23
Posts : 109
Points : 147
Reputation : 4
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 21:58

Your on. You might need to give me a head start though:D 
Back to top Go down
AM_AUTOS

avatar

Location : United Kingdom
Member Number - SnM : 786
Join date : 2012-04-17
Posts : 2074
Points : 2494
Reputation : 105
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 22:00

U should come to castle combe action day

We will be having a fast parade laps - i wont be sitting around much

Driving Batman 

Back to top Go down
http://www.jcwadventures.com
Platty

avatar

Location : Gatwick
Join date : 2013-05-15
Posts : 50
Points : 56
Reputation : 0
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 22:10

I'd not be surprised if you have some coking of the inlet valves.

If you don't have catch cans fitted on the PCV line/s you can't avoid the build up of carbon on the valves.
Back to top Go down
nortonski
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
avatar

Location : Somewhere Down South
Member Number - SnM : 077
Join date : 2010-02-18
Posts : 2315
Points : 2561
Reputation : 50
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 22:58

Dermottdog wrote:
Davyboy wrote:
Mine was new in September 2011. had it's first service about 3 weeks ago, new oil & filter. new plugs (JCW's get plugs every service), Now done 12900 miles, used daily to commute & pleasure at weekends.

I use Tesco Momentum99 which I have found to give better MPG than Shell Nitro.

Mine doesn't pop & bang much either, pretty sure that it had the ECU flash when built that dealers were using to remove the pops. I have enquired if it can be re instated but it can't!
Thanks Dave for your reply. I'm pretty sure I've had the flash too. The car sometimes feels a tad sluggish but still love the whole FJCW thing. On the day, I'm the only one who didn't achieve their expectations. You mut have been chuffed with your 230+. Razz 
Pretty sure Steve in his GP came out slightly lower then her thought. May be wrong though
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22412
Points : 24241
Reputation : 589
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 23:25

Where is Garry with the results? Smile

_________________
dvyby062
"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
nortonski
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
avatar

Location : Somewhere Down South
Member Number - SnM : 077
Join date : 2010-02-18
Posts : 2315
Points : 2561
Reputation : 50
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   18th August 2013, 23:58

Davyboy wrote:
Where is Garry with the results? Smile
I was thinking exactly the same thing Laughing 
Back to top Go down
GarryS
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
avatar

Location : East Sussex
Member Number - SnM : 248
Join date : 2011-01-22
Posts : 853
Points : 940
Reputation : 51
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   19th August 2013, 12:44

Sorry boys; I did say I couldn't post Saturday / Sunday as I had a Christening to attend yesterday.

I will get a full report up tonight with a few photo's Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22412
Points : 24241
Reputation : 589
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   19th August 2013, 17:29

GarryS wrote:
Sorry boys; I did say I couldn't post Saturday / Sunday as I had a Christening to attend yesterday.

I will get a full report up tonight with a few photo's Very Happy 
Oh yes forgot the christening Smile

_________________
dvyby062
"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
nortonski
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
avatar

Location : Somewhere Down South
Member Number - SnM : 077
Join date : 2010-02-18
Posts : 2315
Points : 2561
Reputation : 50
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   19th August 2013, 21:00

Just looking at the list that Gary has put up. You may be down on a little bit of power but it has alot of torque. Probably just your engine
Back to top Go down
AM_AUTOS

avatar

Location : United Kingdom
Member Number - SnM : 786
Join date : 2012-04-17
Posts : 2074
Points : 2494
Reputation : 105
Male

PostSubject: Re: Power down?   19th August 2013, 22:37

Torque is more important then all out BHP
Back to top Go down
http://www.jcwadventures.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Power down?   

Back to top Go down
 

Power down?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 2nd Gen-