click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

MINI squashed by falling tree in storm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mab01uk

Male

PostSubject: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   30th October 2013, 00:03

A towering tree crushes the roof of a MINI in Camden, North London, leaving a huge clear-up job following St Jude's storm. Crying or Very sad 

More crushed cars here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2478616/UK-storm-Did-broadband-cabling-cause-thousands-trees-topple.html#ixzz2j9slk6Dx
Back to top Go down
Chris D
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Member Number - SnM : 137
Female

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   30th October 2013, 06:38

Poor MINI

RIP

flower 
Back to top Go down
Roger34
Club Endorser 6
Club Endorser 6

Member Number - SnM : 408
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   30th October 2013, 13:42

Saw this pic on the news & made me feel so sorry for the owner. Hope they were not in it!pale
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   30th October 2013, 19:54

A reason to have fully comp cover as without that the owner would have to take the hit.
Back to top Go down
Wicker'd Wonder
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7

Member Number - SnM : 1007
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   31st October 2013, 09:17

A good job no one was inside - that said, when I saw this in the press I did think that the car held up pretty well all things considered (it does look like a HUGE tree)
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   31st October 2013, 18:18

You're not wrong Lee!
Back to top Go down
millbrookmini
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   1st November 2013, 21:57

I know how the owners are feeling. The first ever new car I has arrived in August 1987 and by October 87 was beneath 60' cedar tree -one flattened Ford Orion!. If the owners are not fully comp then they can sue the owners of the tree. Looks like the tree should not have been there in the first place. The trunk and branches have very dark wood in the centre indicating that it was rotten in the centre / middle and should have been felled ages ago. Tree owners have a duty of care to keep trees in good order and must be regularly checked. I bet the car insurers will counter claim against the local authority if it belonged to them.
Back to top Go down
Bumble-Bee
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Female

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   2nd November 2013, 08:16

We have 22 trees in our garden with preservation orders on them. They require planning consent and that takes 80 days. 2nd december is when we hear. We annually ask our tree surgeon to come and assess and guide us. There are quite a few more trees that belong to neighbours backing on to us but because they are behind their fencing they believe they are not theirs. It will be one of them that fall. Surgery runs into 4 figures quite easily. Sad about the MINI but the fatalities at the storm I think were all tree related.

Back to top Go down
millbrookmini
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   2nd November 2013, 10:08

.....as a Building Surveyor do not get me going about Local authorities , TPOs , planning and common sense ......
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   3rd November 2013, 20:26

millbrookmini wrote:
I know how the owners are feeling. The first ever new car I has arrived in August 1987 and by October 87 was beneath 60' cedar tree -one flattened Ford Orion!. If the owners are not fully comp then they can sue the owners of the tree. Looks like the tree should not have been there in the first place. The trunk and branches have very dark wood in the centre indicating that it was rotten in the centre / middle and should have been felled ages ago. Tree owners have a duty of care to keep trees in good order and must be regularly checked. I bet the car insurers will counter claim against the local authority if it belonged to them.  
Very difficult to prove for a tree felled in a storm. They won't bother imho and that will leave the car owner with a total loss against their history.
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   3rd November 2013, 20:26

Bumble-Bee wrote:
We have 22 trees in our garden with preservation orders on them. They require planning consent and that takes 80 days. 2nd december is when we hear. We annually ask our tree surgeon to come and assess and guide us. There are quite a few more trees that belong to  neighbours backing on to us but because they are behind their fencing they believe they are not theirs. It will be one of them that fall. Surgery runs into 4 figures quite easily. Sad about the MINI but the fatalities at the storm I think were all tree related.

Don't get me on the subject of TPOs. Just having my own trouble with those.
Back to top Go down
millbrookmini
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   4th November 2013, 07:38

PhilT wrote:
millbrookmini wrote:
Very difficult to prove for a tree felled in a storm. They won't bother imho and that will leave the car owner with a total loss against their history.

I have seen insurers counter claim in the past if there is enough evidence.
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   4th November 2013, 21:27

its the storm bit that makes it tricky. Even if the tree is sick on the inside you would have to prove that the owner could reasonably have known that.

I've never recovered money on one or paid one in nearly 30 years of dealing with claims but you never know…..
Back to top Go down
millbrookmini
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   5th November 2013, 18:30

There have been cases where trres have blown over and hit cars plus occupants have been killed. These trees were on Local Auhority land and courts have held LA liable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MINI squashed by falling tree in storm   

Back to top Go down

MINI squashed by falling tree in storm

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: Bits & Bobs :: News-