Surrey New MINI Owners Club
 
HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in


click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 
 

 Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your car !!! or use a SPONGE !!   1st January 2010, 13:18

3 Day old JCW WC 50 - Brand new car - look at the state of the paintwork that dealer needs to be shot letting that car go out like that !! Frying Pan

14 Hrs of paintwork correction Shocked

Oh and that is exactly what Evil or Very Mad SPONGES Evil or Very Mad DO !!! Mad (yet again a warning about sponges)


Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22257
Points : 24061
Reputation : 584
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:25

Don't know about a sponge Shocked

Looks more like they used one of these........



Think I'd have rejected it Twisted Evil

_________________

"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:30

Davyboy wrote:
Don't know about a sponge Shocked

Looks more like they used one of these........



Think I'd have rejected it Twisted Evil

Yeh on second thoughts it probably was a Brillo Pad !!

I think would of as well - disgusting No
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22257
Points : 24061
Reputation : 584
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:31

I'm thinking the camara and bright lights made it look worse, although still very very poor Mad

_________________

"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
Mini S Mad
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
avatar

Location : Somerset/Ex w.Sussex
Member Number - SnM : 013
Join date : 2009-08-14
Posts : 9876
Points : 10540
Reputation : 131
Female

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:34

Wooooooooooooo thats bad Sad no wonder that took 14 hours :shocked:

That is one gleaming jcw know pompom

Yeh i reckon it was brillo's affraid
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:36

I hope dealer paid for fixing it - I would have rejected it too. Stephen James Ruxley tried to give me my new R56 in similar state in March (BRG). They were amazed when I rejected it and told them the paint should be flat and new not swirled and lined - looked like an abrasive orbital had been used in prepping it. I gave them a week to fix it or told them the sale was off.
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:38

Davyboy wrote:
I'm thinking the camara and bright lights made it look worse, although still very very poor Mad

Thats what they use along with paint depth gauges to asses the level of clarity on the paintwork - so don't this its that as you can see the results after in the bright lights it smooth - next time your driving at night take a look at the rear of other cars paintwork - see the swirling and also in Garage Forecourt lights. thats exactly what you need to avoid for the best smooth shiny finish no or tiny amount of swirling as it effect the finish Shocked

Its impossible to completely avoid swirls but Detailing Addicted people ( im one Embarassed) use product such as AG Super Resin Polish or DoDo Juice Lime Prime (my favourite way better than AG) to fill them in. Wink
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22257
Points : 24061
Reputation : 584
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:39

Too right Paul, it amazes me what some dealers try to get away with Rolling Eyes

_________________

"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:40

Elphaba wrote:
I hope dealer paid for fixing it - I would have rejected it too. Stephen James Ruxley tried to give me my new R56 in similar state in March (BRG). They were amazed when I rejected it and told them the paint should be flat and new not swirled and lined - looked like an abrasive orbital had been used in prepping it. I gave them a week to fix it or told them the sale was off.

Too right !! i had BRG R56 and they really show up on green for some reason scratch think its where the metallic catches the light !
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22257
Points : 24061
Reputation : 584
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:40

can't believe you're addicted to cleaning T, you suprise me Wink

_________________

"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:48

Davyboy wrote:
Too right Paul, it amazes me what some dealers try to get away with Rolling Eyes

When i brought the GP from Ocean MINI in plymouth i was told a horror story by my sales guy - how they had taken delivery of a Brand New black Cooper S - the car cleaning guy used a sponge and one of those Aqua Blades. Dirt got grit trapped in the sponge which made it bad but to finish of the horror story the AquaBlade used to dry the car had a chunk of dirt on it and scrapped ALL OVER THE CAR !!! the Dealership had to pay for a full paint correction and the carwash guy lost his job Shocked

WORD OF WARNING NEVER EVER USE AQUABLADES !!

When i placed the deposit down on the GP over the phone i constantly reiterated that i did not want the car washed and if i got to Plymouth and it had been washed they would be refunding my deposit plus paying for my time and petrol. Once i viewed the car and was happy i then made them right on the Sale of Contract that they would not at anytime wash the vehicle prior to my collection !! - needless to say the didn't wash it - funny that when the threat of NO SALE makes them listen Wink
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:55

For those who do not know what an AquaBlade is here is the culprit !!! Mad





Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22257
Points : 24061
Reputation : 584
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 13:58

I know what they are T, should be banned from the world Razz

Mind they are ok for my patio windows Wink

_________________

"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 14:05

Davyboy wrote:
I know what they are T, should be banned from the world Razz

Mind they are ok for my patio windows Wink

Yeh but for those who dot know what they are - ive talked about them before with other people and look like this Confused lol!

Yeh they are O.K and safe to use on windows but KILL paintwork !!
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22257
Points : 24061
Reputation : 584
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 14:07

Even on the glass I wipe the blade between strokes Wink

No rude replies peeps No

_________________

"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 14:53

woops i use to use one of those aquablade things....mayb i should stop if there that bad.

They JCW looks amazing after that clean!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:03

Andy - here the AquaBlade Damage affraid STOP USING IT !!

Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:14

woops!! thats going in the bin then. Luckily i havnt used it on my new car, only on the one thats gone now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:18

andyjt1990 wrote:
woops!! thats going in the bin then. Luckily i havnt used it on my new car, only on the one thats gone now Very Happy

Indeed its new home should be the bin and remain in the bin !!

*PHEW* glad not on the new car thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:20

yeah thank god i didnt. what do you use to sry your car? my Leather Chamois is like falling apart.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:21

andyjt1990 wrote:
yeah thank god i didnt. what do you use to sry your car? my Leather Chamois is like falling apart.

AHHHHHH WHAT YOU USE A LEATHER CHAMOIS !!! affraid

Swirly Swirly GRIT Catcher !! affraid !!!
Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:22

i think im really doing it wrong lol....

what is a Swirly Swirly GRIT Catcher?
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:27

I said this to Roma in total MINI when he told people how to wash a car and protect it for winter and said to use aqua blade to get rid of excess water??!! What?!!

Microfibres only. Or really good lambswool mitt.

You are right about BRG - a total swirl reflector colour - my Horizon Blue seems very good at hiding swirls so far.

A couple of times I have forgotten to specify I don't want car washed when it is in at dealers, but luckily their car wash man seems excellent - no marks at all. Of course the only way to be really sure is always wash it yourself, including as you say ON THE DAY IT ARRIVES lol
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:34

[quote=\"andyjt1990\"]

what is a Swirly Swirly GRIT Catcher?[/quote]

Swirly Swirly GRIT Catcher = Leather Chamois

1) I recommend starting with a leaf blower ( yep they are brilliant ) just buy a cheap small hand held one for local DIY store - Blow off large quantities of water and in all the annoying nooks and crannies that bleed out once you have finished drying the car Mad. this also speeds up drying time ALOT
2) Use a Terry Towel 2 preferable lay on the car and allow it to absorb residue ( Megs Terry Towel or i use the Chemical Guys Miracle Dryer - Top Notch!)

Chemical Guys - Miracle Dryer :






3) Finally Thick, Soft, Heavy Plush Microfibre Cloth to catch any tiny bits of water left, catch any grit left of the paint work safely in the shaggy pile in the Microfibre cloth and buff to a shine - and Bone dry ready for wax etc

Hope this helps Very Happy

THROW THE CHAMOIS AWAY PLEASE


Last edited by JCWadventures on 1st January 2010, 15:39; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:36

will be getting one of those big towels aswell then.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   

Back to top Go down
 

Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Cleaning & Detailing-