HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 16:26

nikola wrote:
JCWadventures wrote:
andyjt1990 wrote:
Well i suppose as long as you need to look closley to see them, then i suppose its not the end of the world. T will kill me for saying that Laughing

Ay you Razz lol - no you don't have to look closely - in sunlight, and headlights they are very apparent Crying or Very sad

Nik how many times roughly have you been down there and it what sort of state was the car i.e. dirt wise ?

Rob at Magic Valet does machine polishing - i had my GP done by him after collection from the dealers Very Happy - so have that option for a fresh slate or ....

DoDo Lime Prime to fill them in - Not a permanent solution though Sad

Probably at least twice a month, most months - for over a year! Sad Always really, really filthy - just visible number plate level of dirtiness!

I'm going to Rob to do my wheels - so I might save some more pennies and get it washed properly too.

Oh Dear ... Crying or Very sad

Yeh good Idea full machine polish, wash and protection - sorry to say but on the frequentness and muckyness ........ its not going to be good Sad - Rob can fix it though so don't fret !! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
nikola
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Female

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 16:28

I didn't even think about it until you lot started with the cleaning business! Now I feel like I haven't looked after it properly! Sad
I will get it fixed and then start doing it myself.
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 16:31

nikola wrote:
I didn't even think about it until you lot started with the cleaning business! Now I feel like I haven't looked after it properly! Sad
I will get it fixed and then start doing it myself.

sad Dont worry as said it is fixable Smile

Sadly some people still use these cleaning accessories and products not knowing the true effect being more bad than good !
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Member Number - SnM : 029
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:41

I feel bad now.

Sorry Nik. Ignorance is bliss and now we have opened your eyes to something you didn't even know was wrong!

But as Taylor says, don't be depressed, it's perfectly fixable! If my 1990 Eunos could be brought back to flat gleaming paint, your 2 year old MINI can easily!
Back to top Go down
nikola
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Female

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:42

I think I'm glad I know really. I just need to save some money to get it sorted.
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:46

Indeed fixable but professional machine polishing/cutting should not be done regularly Very Happy
as it buffs the lacquer which is scratched. It will be gleaming when it comes out Nik the transformation is so impressive
Back to top Go down
nikola
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Female

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:48

Well I had issues with the roof due to the lacquer peeling, there's a thread on tM somewhere about it and they machine polished my roof at the dealers - it actually looked really swirly once it was done?! I did complain a bit, but they said that was how it would be after being polished?!
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:50

Not by someone who kows how to use one - the spanner monkeys at my old dealer swirled up my R56 MCS that was on delivery, but in the right hands a machine polish followed by a good hand polish and wax should leave it totally flat and new again.. just with less lacquer lol
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:51

nikola wrote:
Well I had issues with the roof due to the lacquer peeling, there's a thread on tM somewhere about it and they machine polished my roof at the dealers - it actually looked really swirly once it was done?! I did complain a bit, but they said that was how it would be after being polished?!

WHAT !!! IT SHOULD NOT BE SWIRLY AT ALL Mad Mad Mad

GRRR these dealers they make me so mad !!! Evil or Very Mad

Well you will have your roof re-done in the whole car machine polished and that will be corrected but still i bet the guy who used it at the dealers did not know how it use it properly - its a fine art really different cutting pad, pad texture and products abrasiveness etc etc

If the lacquer is peeling they shouldn't have machine polished it !! should have been striped and re-sprayed - machine polish is for on hard lacquer
Back to top Go down
nikola
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Female

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:54

I am really worried about giving them my car to do the gear box break/clutch repair thingy next week - but it needs doing, oil is dripping out constantly now! Everytime I take it to them, something goes wrong!
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:54

Elphaba wrote:
just with less lacquer lol

Not a lot less Wink so not to worry - the pad texture and polish creme abrasiveness would have been very fine on a new car- only hard and rough on older and EXTREMELY bad swirling Shocked
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:55

nikola wrote:
I am really worried about giving them my car to do the gear box break/clutch repair thingy next week - but it needs doing, oil is dripping out constantly now! Everytime I take it to them, something goes wrong!

Who is the dealer ?
Back to top Go down
nikola
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Female

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 21:57

Sytner, Sunningdale although their service department has moved to South Ascot now.
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 22:00

nikola wrote:
Sytner, Sunningdale although their service department has moved to South Ascot now.

Well as its under warranty get it done, might be worth after popping it to SVG to check all is in order after the jobs done if you are that worried - or change dealerships if they have screwed you over several times
Back to top Go down
nikola
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Female

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   2nd January 2010, 22:04

Yeah I plan to get SVG to check it over as they were the ones that spotted it for me.

Also I believe it was leaking oil before it went in for the first service 3000 miles ago and they didn't pick up on anything. BUT I might me getting the dates muddled though. I'm not sure though.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 08:46

I leave a A4 size note in my car.................

PLEASE

DO

NOT

WASH

Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 10:02

MORE annoyingly, I have noticed very fine micro abrasions/lines on my piano black dash since the dealers had it in to take apart to sort out rattle/squeaks. Not sure if worth making a fuss over as it's hard to prove they did it - will probably say they never wiped it (as they certainly didnt clean the grubby dark fingerprints off the cream line parts of the underdash grrr) but i have always been VERY careful what I use to wipe it cos I know it marks so easily Sad
Back to top Go down
checkpoint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 10:50

Yep mine always comes out with more scrathes then when it went in with! Everytime inside and out! BMW/MINI servicing personnel IMO don't give a damn enough!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Member Number - SnM : 118
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 13:07

Davyboy wrote:

PLEASE

DO

NOT

WASH

thats exactly what I do too Dave, infact I have one sitting here ready for tomorrow Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 13:13

Davyboy wrote:

PLEASE

DO

NOT

WASH

I put a smiley face at the bottom as well LOL - Yep these babies go on the front and rear windows and on the dash !! Shocked - no excuse then !!
Back to top Go down
nikola
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Female

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 14:44

118 wrote:
Davyboy wrote:

PLEASE

DO

NOT

WASH

thats exactly what I do too Dave, infact I have one sitting here ready for tomorrow Very Happy

I shall get one printed out for Wednesday for mine too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 16:34

maybe it should be a standard fitment in a MINI ^^^^^ Razz

Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 19:15

Ok Taylor, superdetailer - how shall I prep teh car for this? I never had it done by delaer on purchase (as they wanted £399) but I thought it would be worth a tenner lol Do I need to get rid of existing wax layer with fairy liquid and claying, or can I just add it on top like an extra layer?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190360416863&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 19:36

Personally i wouldn't use it - their are better products out there - its horrible stuff to work with and *can* be dangerous if you get on on your hands (something to do with blood poisoning ) Shocked hence why they charge the £399. I looked into it myself Shocked

But if you want to use it i would stay away from fairy liquid due to HIGH (VERY) High salt content - it can be used but you are have get the mix just right to avoid damage and oxidation (leave any on the paintwork or it goes in say the seals by the boot.... wait for the RUST !! )

I would just a strong mix (bearing in mind you probably need 2 small pea sized amounts to wash a car without stripping the wax with this stuff - so id say 2 cap fulls would do the job) of Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss or Chemical Guys Strong Wash (again a strong mix and not very diluted). Then clay the car - thoroughly every nook and cranny !! as this stuff is designed to be put on when no products have touched the paintwork - so no you cant use it as a top up to what products you already have on the car.

Oh and although it says its O.K for wheels id keep it away - if it touches anything behind the rim i.e brake discs / pads they are NOT lacquered surfaces !! - and leaves a horrible stain on the tyres so you would have to cover the tyres over

Last edited by JCWadventures on 7th January 2010, 11:28; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   3rd January 2010, 19:44

Now you have managed to put me off what I thought was a bargain! lol

What about if I ask them not to wash or prep Katie's ONE on arrival and I just use it on that? That should be best time?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   

Back to top Go down

Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Cleaning & Detailing-