Surrey New MINI Owners Club
 
HomeHomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in


click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 
 

 Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:38

Elphaba wrote:
I said this to Roma in total MINI when he told people how to wash a car and protect it for winter and said to use aqua blade to get rid of excess water??!! What?!!

Microfibres only. Or really good lambswool mitt.

You are right about BRG - a total swirl reflector colour - my Horizon Blue seems very good at hiding swirls so far.

A couple of times I have forgotten to specify I don't want car washed when it is in at dealers, but luckily their car wash man seems excellent - no marks at all. Of course the only way to be really sure is always wash it yourself, including as you say ON THE DAY IT ARRIVES lol

Yeh so did I - crazy using the AquaBlade

For washing a thick heavy duty Lambswool Mitt is a MUST !

Yep i have a template saved on Word with instructions not to wash the car and they are printed out and placed in the cockpit and front and rear windows when the car goes in - so its not washed - that way even if i tell them at the desk and they said "ohh we forgot" its right in front of them NO excuses OCD - I KNOW Shocked
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:38

I have AG Super Resin Polish ready for when first swirls appear, but for now with paint still pretty much flat I have been lazy and just used AG Aquawax - also saves drying the car off fully first and cuts wash time down to an hour hee hee
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:39

I still want to get one of those Wookie fists lol
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:44

Yeh unfortunately i don't rate AutoGylm i find the AquaWax too watery compared to good Ol' hard wearing Hard Wax (DoDo) and the Super Resin Polish no matter how small the amount you use leaves white flakes everywhere Mad DoDo Juice Lime Prime is a better alternative and a very good preparation product. But everyone got their favourites and their own wash method .I too am very lucky my paint is flat so i dont need to use it Very Happy (machine polished a few weeks back)

Some people polish way to much it cuts into the lacquer everytime it is used !! Shocked
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:45

Elphaba wrote:
I still want to get one of those Wookie fists lol

I have that its the Dogs Danglies Wink

Holds vast amounts of shampoo and lubrication on the paintwork - Big thumbs up thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:51

I know Aquawax isn't ideal and it is pure laziness cos it works on everything! Glass, trim, chrome bits, bumpers lol very lazy approach to detailing!
Back to top Go down
118
Admin
Admin
avatar

Location : Worthing, West Sussex
Member Number - SnM : 118
Join date : 2009-11-26
Posts : 14877
Points : 16974
Reputation : 428
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:52

Shocked thats shocking, I always leave a note in my car asking them not to wash it when it goes in! No

_________________
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:53

118 wrote:
Shocked thats shocking, I always leave a note in my car asking them not to wash it when it goes in! No

Itsn't It ! No yep best way Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 15:57

Elphaba wrote:
I know Aquawax isn't ideal and it is pure laziness cos it works on everything! Glass, trim, chrome bits, bumpers lol very lazy approach to detailing!

lol! - How long do you find it lasts - when i tried it i binned it a week after and back to DoDo it was - worth a trial though - you do dont try to don't know whether you like Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:00

andyjt1990 wrote:
will be getting one of those big towels aswell then.

Here you go, £12.95 :

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html

Order 90% of my stuff there.
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:02

I wash car every week and the AG bottle lasts about 2-3 months. I love the smell so I tend to use it pretty liberally, inside and out lol
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:03

I might get some Dodo lime for a Spring protection big wash and wax soon. I hear only good things about it.
Back to top Go down
Andy
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
avatar

Location : Hook, Hampshire
Member Number - SnM : 039
Join date : 2009-10-19
Posts : 5825
Points : 6256
Reputation : 155
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:06

JCWadventures wrote:
andyjt1990 wrote:
will be getting one of those big towels aswell then.

Here you go, £12.95 :

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html

Order 90% of my stuff there.

thanks you. that was the one i was just looking at actually Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/profile.php?ref=profi
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:10

Elphaba wrote:
I might get some Dodo lime for a Spring protection big wash and wax soon. I hear only good things about it.

Yeh DoDo Lime Prime is the Preparation product i.e. like SRP - So that will be good if you are doing a big clean as strips thing back so you have a clean slate to work on - Prep is the key - CR*P prep CR*P finish thumbs up Ohh and if you paint is still pretty flat i recommend using the DoDo Juice Lime Prime *Light* not as heavy as the Prime - Prime is for heavier swirls, which yours shouldn't have as new.
Get some DoDo Supernatural Wax or Zymol Concours on top of that then seal with the DoDo Juice Red Mist Beading protaction Spray - and its all good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:11

andyjt1990 wrote:
JCWadventures wrote:
andyjt1990 wrote:
will be getting one of those big towels aswell then.

Here you go, £12.95 :

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/washing-and-drying/miracle-dryer-ultra-plush-25-x-36-/prod_362.html

Order 90% of my stuff there.

thanks you. that was the one i was just looking at actually Smile

Yeh and by ordering with them you earn point which = money off next time - Tim (owner) is great very quick and efficient delivery
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:17

Ah good I was going to ask you to recommend a wax - fancied the purple haze but cant decide if my paint is warm or dark lol. Do you prefer soft or hard wax?
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:20

Yes Purple Haze would be Great on yours just the right shade Wink

But the Supernatural you pay more for but its for all paint and i find more hardwearing and better shine / beading its there 'Top of the Range' so to speak.

The Soft / Hard wax : Well Hard wax is ALOT more hard wearing but more difficult to apply - i prefer hard wax Wink

I also have Zymol Concours (soft) which is excellent but you pay the price at £170 a tub

Zymol wise you could go for the ebony at £64 a tub

Take Your Pick .........
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:24

Hmm I can already see £100 disappearing in suds and elbow grease lol
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Location : Ash Vale
Member Number - SnM : 007
Join date : 2009-08-12
Posts : 22257
Points : 24061
Reputation : 584
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:25

Least you have less to polish than me Razz

_________________

"Life's too short not to!!"
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:26

Paul DoDo do sample pots you can try :

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sample-sizes/cat_75.html

Wax is all about the layers Wink
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:27

That's true! But I also have to do special stuff to the roof that takes longer than the hatch cos you have to wait for drying between coats lol

I reckon my shopping list is:

Wookies Fist
Big yellow towel
Some new microfibres for buffing
Dodo Lime Lite
Dodo Supernatural v2
Dodo Red Mist spray

Or just stick with Aquawax and save £150 lol Wink
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:31

Elphaba wrote:
That's true! But I also have to do speacial stuff to teh roof that takes longer than the hatch cos you have to wait for drying between coats lol

Get a Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel for the rag roof buy 2 leave on the roof will absorb water and dry in to time at time excellent cloths - if you have to have the roof dry before applying your stuff that should cut the time down? and the applying between coats keep coming back to it - as you should only wax on panel at a time anyway because if it sits for to long is is an absolute nightmare to get off Shocked
Back to top Go down
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1


Location : Sidcup, Kent
Member Number - SnM : 029
Join date : 2009-09-25
Posts : 2709
Points : 3027
Reputation : 60
Male

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:32

Yeah I learned that with wax the hard way on my old BRG Eunos Roadster. Powder and sediment dried up everywhere for weeks lol
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:36

Elphaba wrote:
That's true! But I also have to do special stuff to the roof that takes longer than the hatch cos you have to wait for drying between coats lol

I reckon my shopping list is:

Wookies Fist
Big yellow towel
Some new microfibres for buffing
Dodo Lime Lite
Dodo Supernatural v2
Dodo Red Mist spray

Or just stick with Aquawax and save £150 lol Wink

Sounds Good

Bucket Wise ?? that is just as important especially if you are using the quality stuff !

GRIT GUARDS people - make sure you use !!










I use Blue for the clean soapy bucket and red for the cleaning off mitt (dirt water bucket) ( two bucket method is important to avoid swirls)
Back to top Go down
JCWadventures

avatar

Location : Camberley, Surrey, UK
Join date : 2009-11-05
Posts : 2407
Points : 2673
Reputation : 73

PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   1st January 2010, 16:38

Elphaba wrote:
Yeah I learned that with wax the hard way on my old BRG Eunos Roadster. Powder and sediment dried up everywhere for weeks lol

LOL Oh Dear ! Shocked

Start as you mean to go on - if you want to keep the paint flat a reduce swirls before starting any washing a Pre-Wash is good - Snow Foam Lance - Allow to sit for 5-10 mins and the suds will lift the dirt safely and prevent swirling Wink


Last edited by JCWadventures on 1st January 2010, 16:42; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your   

Back to top Go down
 

Exactly the reason why you SHOULD NOT let dealers wash your

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Cleaning & Detailing-