View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
pudders
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 19:14

Hi guys,

Some of you might say go on to minitorque but wanted to ask you guys first. Thinking of remap and getting more power. The Mini Cooper s I think with a stage 1 jcw kit? It has done 88,000 miles. Is this to high in your opinion to start putting the engine under more strain.

I love the mini just want a little bit more.

Cheers guys Scott
Back to top Go down
devilsplayground

Member Number - SnM : 283
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 19:22

Hi Scott,
I don't think that the mileage is high and it is really more important that the engine has been serviced regularly. If you arent planning on going too mad and trying to ring out every last bit of power then a remap can improve power, drive ability and economy.
You won't get the best from remapping though, unless you have removed the other restrictions that were put on by the manufacturer first .i.e exhaust, air filter/induction kit etc.
Good luck with the mods but don't expect it to stop there!!  Wink 
Back to top Go down
pudders
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 19:26

Thank you for a great reply, i really am a novice when it involves cars I love them I just read to much and listen to other people who don't probably now about minis.

I was planing on the evlove stage 3. It will be done one bit at a time due to cost. One Thing I think I need is a de coke? Hope that's right So that's first on the list.

Cheers for the help Scott
Back to top Go down
Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 19:42

I'd say the first thing I'd do is get a walnut decoke done (TWG do it pretty cheap) as you'll probably find that livens the car up quite a bit if it hasn't already been done. At the same time you could get them to do an engine health check to see - it'll probably provide you with reassurance too. 88,000 miles isn't a massive amount on a modern engine so it should come back looking good Very Happy
Back to top Go down
pudders
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 19:44

Hi James where's TWG? Yeah that's a good idea. Get it all check just for back up.
Back to top Go down
Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 19:45

They're a site sponsor based in Camberley. I've not had any dealings with them myself, but I've heard nothing but positive comments about their pricing and workmanship.

TWG - click here
Back to top Go down
Bandit 65

Member Number - SnM : 300
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 19:58

Hi Pudders

I would give the remap a miss as this has not been to good on the gen 2 as it seems to give more trouble than what you gain in power, stick to the small changes like air intake and exhaust that will give you a small change to power that will not put a big stain on the engine,
These will help the engine breath better and yes to the decoke I believe that there is a walnut blast that is a good and a cheap alternative to the head off and strip, the main trouble with a remap is most of the time all they do is up the boost and take out some of the fuelling regulations from other countries,
Before someone starts there are some remapping out there and works well but for every one of them there is 5 to 10 poor ones and I am only talking about what I have come across with people in this club so my opinion

Driving 
Back to top Go down
AM_AUTOS

Member Number - SnM : 786
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 20:03

Make sure its running before you go mad

Health check and decoke if needed

I would personally go down the route of AEM Intake and sports cat to release more power and noise SAFELY

How is the clutch on your S?

Dont remap it

I have seen it end in sadness too many times

Last edited by AM_AUTOS on 16th January 2014, 20:20; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.jcwadventures.com
devilsplayground

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 20:09

Bearing in mind that this a relatively small engine and turbo, it already produces a healthy amount of torque (which is what you are more reliant upon in everyday driving than BHP) from low revs.
Like I have said already (and Phil has echoed) it would be a good idea to remove the physical restrictions on the flow of air and fuel through the engine before trying to force more through the same size gaps!! Exhaust, induction and larger intercooler (even a ported head if you have the funds) would serve you better in prolonging the life of your engine aswell as at least two oil changes a year and putting good fuel in it.
Back to top Go down
pudders
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 20:21

It's a hard thing to choose, I have the jcw exhaust and a alta air intake. I have the mini and a astra vxr. I had a drive of the astra the other day and the power was a lot more fun I know there two diffrent cars.i gues your not gonna get massive power gain. Might be worth getting the handling top notch.

Sorry fort he quesitions just debating do I spend more money to get the power or sell them both and move on. Not good.
Back to top Go down
AM_AUTOS

Member Number - SnM : 786
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 20:30

Nothing wrong with a good debate

It will always boil down to how much money you have in your back pocket
Back to top Go down
http://www.jcwadventures.com
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 20:32

I'd fully echo what's been said.....^^

I think you would find a trip to have a chat with Will & Graham at TWG the best time you will spend, they are very knowledgeable and helpful, also they race cars so will know about the handling aspects...

After all it's just down the road for you Smile

pudders
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 20:36

Well I am not loaded but I no it's not a rush to get it done. I can sell them both and spend the money on another car but this is my 4 mini, I keep going back. So I must like them.  I like to have peoples advice and there option. That's why I like this site.yah I have emailed them I will ask the guys they may say the car is good or might say get a new one  pale 
Back to top Go down
devilsplayground

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 20:38

MINI has never been about straight line speed, it has always been the car for chucking about on the b roads, my R53 never fails to put a smile on my face when big Audis and BMWs can't keep up on the twisties!! It also makes it easier to keep my licence in this world of speed cameras !
I guess the choice is down to what you need the car to do; a big engined, big power car is not very practical for everyday use but a lightly modded MINI can tick more boxes more of the time...
Back to top Go down
PhilK
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7

Member Number - SnM : 073
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    16th January 2014, 22:59

Take it from someone who learnt the hard way (theres pics in my Clubman thread).  Get the car running well first before any mods. The R56 (pre 2010/11?) can be prone to coking and on an 88k car, it's worth getting that done first, and speak to the experts after you know the engine is performing well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sixgreenbottles.co.uk
pudders
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    17th January 2014, 17:52

Thank you for all the help guys,I am young a foolish so wanna get it right. Your right it's not got the power like other cars but it will leave them for dust around the bends.

Going to order the de cat (I know it might be loud) and the inter cooler. Just waiting for the guys to get back to me about the de coke.

Once again thank you Scott
Back to top Go down
Gazza

Member Number - SnM : SNM 415
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    18th January 2014, 00:40

Think very hard before remap. Ive had mine mapped 3 times still not 100 % getting it done again by different company next month
Back to top Go down
pudders
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    18th January 2014, 11:55

Would be good to hear how ou have got on gazza
Back to top Go down
dave_a

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    18th January 2014, 14:54

Had my R56 mapped by Sanspeed a few years ago and have never had any issues. Supposed I'd recommend doing changes like sports cat, remove the silencer and get a good air induction kit before having the map done, and make sure its not just a common map and that they do a custom one using their rolling road
Back to top Go down
pudders
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    19th January 2014, 15:14

Cheers guys just sorting booking the de come, ordered a intercooler and a miltek down pipe. Just need to sort handling now.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuning and mileage    

Back to top Go down

Tuning and mileage

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 2nd Gen-