MINI Challenge 210 Edition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
*Vikki*

Female

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   6th August 2015, 17:45

AM_AUTOS wrote:
Literally no point buying one when the full fat JCW will cost the same in lesser trim

I would take power over a fully loaded car any day

Just proves how different we all are. Id take a fully loaded car over a base spec one any day, even if it had double the power. As long as the car has decent power to start with id always go for one with more toys. Not like you can really use the power on UK roads these days.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   6th August 2015, 17:58

AM_AUTOS wrote:
Literally no point buying one when the full fat JCW will cost the same in lesser trim

I would take power over a fully loaded car any day

Total rubbish!

We all buy what we want with our money, so there is every point in buying one not forgetting Garry also has a GP2!

PhilK
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7

Member Number - SnM : 073
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   6th August 2015, 18:49

After seeing Garry's on the weekend I'm not sure what I'd do.

The 210 has an equipment list almost exactly how I would want my car specced. The colour being the main thing that put me off, but even now I'm warming to it. If I could spec up an S to include the JCW Tuning package and *that* exhaust (which isn't available for a JCW I'm led to believe), and the saving was substantial, I'd be severely tempted to go that route.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sixgreenbottles.co.uk
NeilAndHisMini
Events Support
Events Support

Member Number - SnM : 071
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   6th August 2015, 20:10

Would have to be a JCW for me. Moonwalk grey has become my favourite colour on the F56, but for me it needs the red roof. There's one similar to this around Rustington, but with the JCW Pro mirror caps, and it looks stunning  Cool

I'd keep the spec fairly basic, and spend the money saved by not having lots of toys on the nice seats and the naughty exhaust Smile

(There's an interesting thread regarding JCW speccing on Pistonheads, which would seem to suggest that the exhaust is indeed available):

LINK

Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   6th August 2015, 20:30

I'm looking at the JCW but am undecided on the colour -thanks for the pic of the Moonwalk Grey - I agree - looks good with the red roof.
Back to top Go down
Mackem13
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4

Member Number - SnM : 317
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   6th August 2015, 21:38

PhilK wrote:
After seeing Garry's on the weekend I'm not sure what I'd do.

The 210 has an equipment list almost exactly how I would want my car specced. The colour being the main thing that put me off, but even now I'm warming to it.  If I could spec up an S to include the JCW Tuning package and *that* exhaust (which isn't available for a JCW I'm led to believe), and the saving was substantial, I'd be severely tempted to go that route.

The challenge exhaust is available on the new JCW. The guy I know at Barons told me that they had a customer had ordered one with it on.
Back to top Go down
Stevie
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Member Number - SnM : 464
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   7th August 2015, 09:52

I saw an interesting dyno run that shows the 210 putting out 230 or so HP with the challenge exhuast flap open, and a lower figure when closed. Seems MINI might be underselling it in order to not steal focus from the JCW.
Back to top Go down
http://www.firelightdigital.co.uk
Jelster

Member Number - SnM : 011
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   7th August 2015, 14:42

Mackem13 wrote:
The challenge exhaust is available on the new JCW. The guy I know at Barons told me that they had a customer had ordered one with it on.

I was told it was £1600 when I ordered my JCW. Shocked
Back to top Go down
GarryS
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Member Number - SnM : 248
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   13th August 2015, 12:18

Stevie wrote:
I saw an interesting dyno run that shows the 210 putting out 230 or so HP with the challenge exhuast flap open, and a lower figure when closed. Seems MINI might be underselling it in order to not steal focus from the JCW.

That's quite interesting Steve as I have seen the MINI Connected app report in excess of 210 on numerous occasions when 'giving it a handful'. Don't know how accurate the app is?!

Would be quite interesting to put it on a Dyno thumbs up

With regards to the ongoing debate; I had an auto F56 JCW for the day yesterday (Chandlers where replacing my 'wonky' Challenge 210 graphic on the drivers side) and I have to say I didn't notice much difference in power. Admittedly the 'Full Fat' JCW does seem to pull off the line with more vigour, however, once rolling and mid-range I'd say the 210 felt more aggressive. I'm now very intrigued to drive a manual F56 JCW to compare the two like for like. I thought the 'auto' mode was misguided and the 'manual-auto' shift clunky.

One thing I did notice on the JCW, the amount of branding is hideous. I counted 18 JCW logos and personally thought the surround around the centre dial was awful. It cheapens the car in my opinion. Careful colour choice is also required as I felt with the red colour line dash looked very confused with so many different colours and textures.

Like Vikki says, it's all about personal choice; at present I'm happy I made the right one.

Look at like this, I can enjoy the 210 for a couple of years and I will have somewhere to go; buy a JCW and what are my upgrade options?

Last edited by GarryS on 13th August 2015, 12:23; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GarryS
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   13th August 2015, 12:22

*Vikki* wrote:
Hi Garry, it appears your MINI has the new style spot lamps that no one else has that are out! Is there any chance you can take a pic of them on high beam and let me know what you think of them too? As I am thinking of getting these over the normal ones but some mini peeps have said they aren't as good as the old style ones, not as bright? Which is a bit odd as they are LEDS.

Sorry Vikki not been online for a bit; only just noticed this Embarassed I see you have had spots fitted so I guess the question is now irrelevant; however, having had the old style lamps on the WC50 and the new lamp on the 210 I'd say the new lamp is brighter.

One thing that is nice, when on full beam now the whole front end is 'white' light as opposed to Xenon and Tungsten with the old lamps.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   13th August 2015, 17:33

Barons have just reduced their demo (never saw it as a demo as a manager always had it) it was on for £30k or there about for a couple of weeks now £26.5k their similar JCW has also been reduced from £32k to about £30k or there abouts.

There must be a good deal to be had if haggled down more Wink

NeilAndHisMini
Events Support
Events Support

Member Number - SnM : 071
Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   13th August 2015, 17:49

Don't know if you've seen them Garry, but there are some great pics online of a whole lot of 210s on track together at Oulton Park Driving

There's also a video of them all having a sound off with their exhausts Smile
Back to top Go down
GarryS
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   17th August 2015, 07:33

NeilAndHisMini wrote:
Don't know if you've seen them Garry, but there are some great pics online of a whole lot of 210s on track together at Oulton Park Driving

There's also a video of them all having a sound off with their exhausts Smile

Not had a chance to check it out yet Neil but I understand when the 210 initially went on sale MINI where giving away a pair of tickets to Oulton Park MINI festival / Challenge meet to each new owner; hence the large gathering.

Sad thing is I suspect that will be the last time you see so many together (if WC50 ownership is anything to go by!)
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   18th August 2015, 21:22

GarryS wrote:
Stevie wrote:

That's quite interesting Steve as I have seen the MINI Connected app report in excess of 210 on numerous occasions when 'giving it a handful'. Don't know how accurate the app is?!

Would be quite interesting to put it on a Dyno thumbs up

With regards to the ongoing debate; I had an auto F56 JCW for the day yesterday (Chandlers where replacing my 'wonky' Challenge 210 graphic on the drivers side) and I have to say I didn't notice much difference in power. Admittedly the 'Full Fat' JCW does seem to pull off the line with more vigour, however, once rolling and mid-range I'd say the 210 felt more aggressive. I'm now very intrigued to drive a manual F56 JCW to compare the two like for like. I thought the 'auto' mode was misguided and the 'manual-auto' shift clunky.

One thing I did notice on the JCW, the amount of branding is hideous. I counted 18 JCW logos and personally thought the surround around the centre dial was awful. It cheapens the car in my opinion. Careful colour choice is also required as I felt with the red colour line dash looked very confused with so many different colours and textures.

Like Vikki says, it's all about personal choice; at present I'm happy I made the right one.

Look at like this, I can enjoy the 210 for a couple of years and I will have somewhere to go; buy a JCW and what are my upgrade options?

Garry, I agree, as with all things MINI it's a personal thing - at least the choice is massive although even MINI baulk at a few colour combinations.

I actually like the centre dial surround, but that's just me... Smile
Back to top Go down
GarryS
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   6th October 2015, 07:40

Well, having owned the 210 for a couple of months now I thought it was time for an update.

As the weather was kind at the weekend I decided to get the GP out for a 'back to back' drive and I have to admit the 210 comes no where close to the thrill or grin factor of the GP. The GP still handles like it's on rails and pulls so much stronger than the 210 in every gear.

That being said the 210 is a fantastic car, on my daily commute from Boreham Street to Tunbridge Wells it is the perfect combination of comfort and speed that's required. On the homeward journey (when I'm more awake Wink ) it's time for Sport Mode, traction off and country lanes (sometimes even press the naughty button Embarassed ) The handling and responsiveness of the 210 soon makes you forget about the extra size, the balance is totally on the button, only small criticism are the brakes. I may consider an upgrade to JCW items once a few hit eBay.

The extra comfort and 'toys' in the 210 are very welcome on a daily driver; however, the lack of manual (all online!!) means I'm still discovering things everyday!

To summarise, I'm very happy I bit the bullet and purchased the 210, I think it looks (and sounds!) awesome and it's fair to say I'm a convert to the F56; however, I'm so pleased it didn't come at the cost of the ultimate MINI, my fantastic GP Wink

A few photo's of the 'boys' on Sunday:

Back to top Go down
Mrs Mini
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Member Number - SnM : 019
Female

PostSubject: Re: MINI Challenge 210 Edition   6th October 2015, 15:56

Like i said let me know when you get bored of him Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
GarryS
Club Endorser 1