Runflats gone... huge improvement!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
s60r
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 07:11

I haven't posted for a while, but had such a large improvement in the car I'd thought I'd share....

On a long (for us) run down to get the Eurostar to Disney this summer holiday, I was shocked how noisy the runflats were on the CM. I don't drive it daily so jumping in evenings and weekends gives me a good comparison point.

Not only noisy, but twitchy handling and incredibly uncomfortable when hitting holes etc.

So I made up my mind to ditch the runflats.

I found an amazing bargain on some Michelin PS4's in my size (225 45 18.)

The first 2 local tyre places I tried refused to take runflats off my car stating "for insurance reasons the car has to leave with runflats if it comes into them wearing them".... which of course is utter rubbish!! Yes all 4 must match but no reason not to swap a set between runflats/normal rubber/winters etc.

Anyway... I digress.....

WOW

Jaw Drop

How on earth have I put up with them for so long?!!! I guess the fact that I only drive it evenings and the Wife likes the security of getting home if a puncture occurs.... but my word.... what a trade off the runflats are!

Instantly transformed the drive, it is so much more stable now, and holds the road like a Mini should. The comfort improvement has made us feel like we are driving a new car!

I totally get the point of runflats but they are such a bad tyre in every other way other than being able to run flat!

So mine will never go back on, I'll pop them on eBay and cover the cost of my "proper" tyres easily.

So my 2p worth...........A total no brainer for those considering getting off the terrible runflats.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 07:33

I agree - I run normal tyres on one mini and runflats on another so I get the comparison.

Just don't watch any videos about how the two perform in the event of a large puncture!

It's also worth getting a proper four wheel alignment done as that makes a surprising difference if your current car is not on spec.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 08:32

Totally agree Jason.

The other bit that amazes me is the lack of knowledge from so called tyre experts that the majority of motorists trust!

PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 12:11

I suspect their insurance point is about their's rather than your's. Fitting non-runflats could lead to a (perceived or actual) liability which is probably their concern.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 12:30

Barons (main dealer) swopped mine over and said it was the best thing you can do to a MINI Wink

Mrs Mini
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Member Number - SnM : 019
Female

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 14:35

Interesting as I'm swooping over to non run flats on the Roadster. I had Uniroyals Rainsport 3s on the Hatchback but the Roadster handles differently so any recommendations very welcome
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 14:54

Everyone will say something different as nobody has tried every tyre available.

I had Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 K120 on the clubman and never had a issue in dry or wet although I do drive to the conditions.

Mrs Mini
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Member Number - SnM : 019
Female

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 16:48

Davyboy wrote:
Everyone will say something different as nobody has tried every tyre available.

I had Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 K120 on the clubman and never had a issue in dry or wet although I do drive to the conditions.

thanks Dave,
Personally have no interest in pretending that I'm Lewis Hamilton, I'm more of a cruising touring person
its just as good to hear negative opinions as well as recommendations. i have a run flat with an inside bulge but have a spare one in the garage to get it thought the MOT so have time to consider what to put on
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 17:31

I did some research and they seemed pretty good value for money, good reviews.

Drove well, good in the wet and also no Lewis Hamilton

s60r
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Male

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    19th September 2017, 22:33

I am Lewis Hamilton when in the Mini..... well not totally true of course but I enjoy pushing it around Wink. .... and I can too very highly recommend the k120 Hankook.... a fabulous tyre particularly in the wet. It would have been the tyre put on if I hadn't got the deal of my life on the PS4's.

I put the hankook v12's on a previous 335i BMW (also came off runflats to do so) also a Golf GT Tdi and a Citroen 7 seater... they are a great tyre. You won't be disappointed.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Runflats gone... huge improvement!    

Back to top Go down

Runflats gone... huge improvement!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Wheels, Tyres, Suspension & Brakes :: 2nd Gen-