Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
justelfie
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Member Number - SnM : 381
Male

PostSubject: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    20th June 2018, 22:29

Some time ago before I replaced all my tyres to Michelin primacy non run flats, when Val was out in the mini she got a punture in rear tyre a Bridgestone runflats, and she was adament the pressure warning did not go off, just before I replaced all four tyres to non run flats, I deliberatelty loosen the rear tyre valve to simulate a slow punture on a private road, and drove slowly whilst air was leaking out slowly but halted after some time when tyre pressure was less than 60%, the tyre pressure warning had still not triggered, I have since plugged in my Foxwell NT510 scanner no faults shown, also none shown via the dashboard, after researching it seems other drivers have had problems with tyre pressure warning being triggered without a punture and warning stays on, but untill today I found another forum a driver of a bmw had the tyre pressure warning fail, which promted me to ask on here.

Last edited by justelfie on 20th June 2018, 22:31; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling mistake)
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    20th June 2018, 22:45

Mike (Solarin) had a puncture and by the time the light did come on the tyre was cooked.
Back to top Go down
justelfie
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    20th June 2018, 22:50

Hi Phil I wonder how low the tyre pressure had dropped, because as said I did a trial down to 60% pressure and nothing happened.
Back to top Go down
ozzy
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Member Number - SnM : 067
Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    20th June 2018, 23:28

They detect a sudden loss of pressure that activate the warning.
Not the gradual loss of pressure over a period of time.
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    21st June 2018, 08:32

The system does I think work of the ABS (the more modern tyre pressure sensors are in the tyre valve) by measuring the rotational speed of the tyre compared others. As it deflates the rolling radius reduces and the rotation increases. Cross the threshold and the light comes on.
Back to top Go down
justelfie
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    21st June 2018, 12:08

Phil you are right at least that how my R56 works its nothing fancy like fitted on the bmw, so mine should have worked because as you loose tyre pressure the circumference of the tyre is decreasing and therefore speeed of that wheel is going faster, and at that point it should trigger the warning, and I think what ozzy is refering to they wont detect a really slow loss of air pressure ie over several days, at least thats my understanding of the system, because prior to me loosening the tyre valve to simulate a punture, I had already tried deliberately by letting the tyre pressure down by 60% then driving up the road this also still did not trigger the low pressure tyre warning system, but as ozzy refered to it only woirks on sudden loss of pressure this would be make a warning system pointless, because anyone thats had a rapid deflation of a tyre knows immediately without a warning system to tell them.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    21st June 2018, 16:02

On my Gen2 R55 I had a very slow puncture and the warning light came on, I'd check and it would be down about 10psi, reinflate and a few days later light back on and about 8/10psi down again.

PhilK
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7

Member Number - SnM : 073
Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    22nd June 2018, 08:48

Davyboy wrote:
On my Gen2 R55 I had a very slow puncture and the warning light came on, I'd check and it would be down about 10psi, reinflate and a few days later light back on and about 8/10psi down again.

I had exactly the same occur on my gen 2 R55 Dave. The right rear had dropped down to around 18psi because of a slow puncture. I thought it was because I had forgotten to carry out the reset procedure after top ups, but maybe not.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sixgreenbottles.co.uk
justelfie
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    26th June 2018, 22:35

PhilK wrote:

I had exactly the same occur on my gen 2 R55 Dave. The right rear had dropped down to around 18psi because of a slow puncture. I thought it was because I had forgotten to carry out the reset procedure after top ups, but maybe not.

Hi Phil are you saying the warning light did not operate !
Back to top Go down
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    26th June 2018, 22:55

justelfie wrote:
PhilK wrote:

I had exactly the same occur on my gen 2 R55 Dave.  The right rear had dropped down to around 18psi because of a slow puncture.  I thought it was because I had forgotten to carry out the reset procedure after top ups, but maybe not.

Hi Phil are you saying the warning light did not operate !

Not sure if Phil means the same as me but mine did detect a slow puncture on several occasions.

PhilK
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7

Member Number - SnM : 073
Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    27th June 2018, 07:48

Apologies, completely misread your post Dave. The rear right on my R55 was at 18psi, and the light never came on. It taught me that I need to perform whenever i checked or pumped up the tyres. th
Back to top Go down
http://www.sixgreenbottles.co.uk
justelfie
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5

Male

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    27th June 2018, 12:27

Hi Phil I thought that’s what you meant so it looks likely for some unknown reason the low pressure tyre warning does not always operate, which is exactly what happened to Val, my issue was defiantly not caused by not carry out a reset, as I always press the reset whenever I pump the tyres up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate    

Back to top Go down

Anyone had a Punture and Tyre Pressure Warning Failed to Operate

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Wheels, Tyres, Suspension & Brakes :: 2nd Gen-