Tyre recommendations needed please

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Emily2

Emily2

Member Number - SnM : 016
Female

Tyre recommendations needed please Vide
PostSubject: Tyre recommendations needed please   Tyre recommendations needed please Empty2nd June 2019, 20:03

Hi guys

As some of you know, I need 1 new front tyre as it has for some reason lost a lot more tread than the other side and nearly near the limit.

I know a lot have recommended the Michelin pilot sport 4 which I was all set for, until I realised they don’t do runflats.

Runflats are a must for me.

I currently have Pirelli cinturato p7 that came on the car.

I can only seem to find the Pirelli’s and continental in runflats for my 18” alloys.

Is this right there is only 2? Or have I missed something?

The reason I don’t want Pirelli’s is these are so slippery in slightest bit of wet weather the car slides pretty much on every corner. I had runflat Pirelli’s on poh all those years ago and never had a problem, although I guess the power wasn’t behind those wheels...

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Emily
Back to top Go down
PhilK
Club Endorser 10
Club Endorser 10
PhilK

Member Number - SnM : 073
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tyre recommendations needed please   Tyre recommendations needed please Empty2nd June 2019, 20:32

When I had the F56, I had Dunlop SportMaxx 18" run flats supplied with the car. They weren't great, but they weren't awful either.

The other thing I'd suggest is getting the 4 wheel alignment done do try and find the cause of the uneven wear.

Final question is why do you feel you need you need run flats? The BMW came without them and no spare, thats on Michelin Pilot SuperSports.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sixgreenbottles.co.uk
Mackem13
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
Mackem13

Member Number - SnM : 317
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tyre recommendations needed please   Tyre recommendations needed please Empty2nd June 2019, 20:33

Hi Emily.

The Michelin’s are by far the best tyre and you could always carry some tyre weld and a pump in the car to get you out of trouble. Standard tyres tend to be cheaper than the runflats too.

But if you want to stick with runflats then my f56 had Bridgestones on it. So they should be available. And I think Dunlop do one too.

There will also be different Pirelli’s in the range so may be worth looking at that.

It all sounds like you need a 4 wheel alignment done as it sounds like somethings out of line ifs only that 1 tyre that’s beer affected.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tyre recommendations needed please   Tyre recommendations needed please Empty2nd June 2019, 20:57

The sliding will have a lot to do with being run flats, 18" rims will have very small side walls and being rock hard there is no flex hence they skip instead of gripping a non run flat will have some flex and grip.

Interest as why one has worn more, I guess the pressures have always been checked? As Phil said a 4 wheel alignment is worth having done. Pretty sure TWG do it?

As to tyre make I can't help much only going by what I read and that's Michelin Pilot Sport 4 are one of the best.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyre recommendations needed please   Tyre recommendations needed please Empty

Back to top Go down

Tyre recommendations needed please

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Wheels, Tyres, Suspension & Brakes :: 3rd Gen-