Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Elphaba
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1

Member Number - SnM : 029
Male

Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine Vide
PostSubject: Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine   Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine Empty24th April 2010, 11:18

I thought it would be useful for those used to bunging £20 to Kwik Fit for an utterly useless laser tracking on their front wheels to see what a full four wheel alignment is.

I had Bluebelle done today at SVG on a Hunter machine because she has been feeling skittish and tramlining (though of course that may be because it seems Cooper Tadworth set the tyre pressures at 40psi!!!)

Hunter are the best alignmment machines in the biz, giving a pinpoint-accurate full geometry (all three angles - camber, castor and toe) with before and after easy-to-understand printouts and real-time on screen visualisation of adjustments.

I was really pleased to hear that SVG have one, as I have had to go as far as Reading before with my MX-5 to get alignment done properly. Every car with a sporty chassis and good suspension needs an annual alignment check as correct alignment affects tramlining, ride, mpg and tyre wear. You will also absolutely require an alignment adjustment if you lower your car as this throws the geometry right out of whack and can even make it dangerous.

Here is the contraption in action on Bluebelle -

All prepped and road-tested:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02543

Onto the Hunter:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02545

Dave f. Airbox fitted:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02547

Heavy weights added to represent driver/passengers:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02548

Adding the laser-reflector thingummyjigs to each wheel:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02550

These are 'read' by the lasers on the main front frame of the Hunter:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02552

Computer shows the initial settings then shows the changes as the mechanic adjusts the suspension to bring the settings as close as possible to vehicle spec:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02554

My initial settings - red does not mean panic, the tolerances are minute and green means perfect, red means not quite within tolerances, not DANGER!!! lol:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02558

The car is at height so the mechanic can quickly access all teh suspension bolts and adjusters:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02555

You can see the lasers as black squares in the top right and left of red Hunter frame:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02556

Wheel gap!! lol:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02557

My final readings after adjustment - as you can see, one setting could not be brought back within recommended tolerances as the bolt was adjusted as far as it would go. You can see the recommended tolerances on the left and right sides of each colour box, and the 'actual' figure in the centre. A shame, but since it is only 10 minutes off, this relates to a tiny degree of error, and with everything else now in line, the car is much more planted:
Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine DSC02559
Back to top Go down
wicz
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
wicz

Male

PostSubject: Re: Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine   Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine Empty24th April 2010, 11:54

Cool cheers Paul thats really interesting thumbs up
Back to top Go down
vickietots
Club Endorser 5
Club Endorser 5
vickietots

Female

PostSubject: Re: Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine   Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine Empty26th April 2010, 10:00

Its good to know! I have had a four wheel alignment done at Pro Tyre in Slough when I had Jack (I think I had 2 done there) as MINIs always go out of alignment with the state of our roads. It made such a difference! Very Happy But I think I will go to SVG now! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Headintheclouds
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3
Headintheclouds

Female

PostSubject: Re: Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine   Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine Empty26th April 2010, 15:44

Thanks Pauk, the read out is slightly easier to interpret than the KDS one, and it sound very similar to how that is done, but SO much cheaper!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine   Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine Empty

Back to top Go down

Full Four Wheel Geometry Alignment at SVG on a Hunter Machine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Wheels, Tyres, Suspension & Brakes :: 1st Gen-