Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Are there any Clutch test/Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mini S Mad
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
Mini S Mad

Member Number - SnM : 013
Female

Are there any Clutch test/Tips  Vide
PostSubject: Are there any Clutch test/Tips    Are there any Clutch test/Tips  Empty30th December 2010, 17:06

For those that have had a clutch go or know much about them is there any tips/things u can try to see if it's going or any tell tale signs?

I have my supscions Chillis is starting to fail as very springy/loose on coming bck up, some of the time when decreasing/increasing around 2-3 RPM she doesn't feel quite right/juddery/slight running away feeling shortly b4 or after changing gear. Also a slipping/sliding feeling but not sure of thats connected!!

I am going to get my mate to have a look on the nxt few days but wondered if I could try anything

I was told try & pull away in 3rd b4 but is there anything else

Just getting frustrated/lost confidence in her after recent problems

Any help for a concerned Chilli owner!!

Thanks Hug
Back to top Go down
jack_st

jack_st

Male

PostSubject: Re: Are there any Clutch test/Tips    Are there any Clutch test/Tips  Empty30th December 2010, 20:16

i could be wrong but i was told once to put the hand break on put it in 1st and bring the clutch pedal up to see if it slips. the biteing point will be at the top of the pedal if it was on its last legs.
Back to top Go down
PrincessRiot
Competition Support
Competition Support
PrincessRiot

Member Number - SnM : 035
Female

PostSubject: Re: Are there any Clutch test/Tips    Are there any Clutch test/Tips  Empty31st December 2010, 11:10

Mine went! it was an experience!

When you like change gear when driving you can tell.
Watch the revs when changing gear thats the biggest give away (: x
Back to top Go down
InsanityPrawnBoy
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
InsanityPrawnBoy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Are there any Clutch test/Tips    Are there any Clutch test/Tips  Empty31st December 2010, 15:25

Not much else to add really to what's been said above already.

If it is slipping you're obviously going to notice it more on inclines (watch the rev. counter for fluctuations despite a constant throttle position)

A slipping clutch can kind of give the sensation of driving with the handbrake partly engaged or the car may just feel like it's lacking power etc.

If a clutch has been slippng or is worn very badly you can smell it inside the car as the facings on the centreplate, or what's left of them, burn. Often if a clutch has deteriorated to this extent the car will require the flywheel replacing too as they can crack with the heat generated. (Seen a few like this at work the past couple of weeks what with people attempting to drive in the snow!) Mad
Back to top Go down
Mini S Mad
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
Mini S Mad

Member Number - SnM : 013
Female

PostSubject: Re: Are there any Clutch test/Tips    Are there any Clutch test/Tips  Empty31st December 2010, 19:15

Did some more tests & i am still not sure its right Sad But will have to wait till after wkend now to b sure.

I tested the pull away in 3rd & she pulled away & traveled approx 50yrds b4 struggling/tried to stall.
I checked the bitting point & it was vertually right @ the top. It normally around 1/2 way b4.
When pulling away in first the acceleration needle went up, then slightly bck down & up again - I am assuming this is flucteration Confused scratch

It was very itermitent this morning but the same as the last few days coming bck

But think i have digsnosed thanks to tom/his chilli what the sliding/juddering is, i am 99.9% she is minus some wheel weights but my wheels are so dirty/black i cant be defo sure. I am going to have another look 2morrow.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are there any Clutch test/Tips    Are there any Clutch test/Tips  Empty

Back to top Go down

Are there any Clutch test/Tips

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 1st Gen-