Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Warning Lights...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aimeeholliday

Female

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty14th January 2011, 17:25

Right, thats it now, I have offically had enough of my mini!!!
The bloody ABS light is doing my head in, i really need to get them out and sorry to sayy...but sell it.
I had it plugged in again for the second time the other day, and he showed me its something to do with the passenger side ABS sensor, which I have already changed once, he said its been put in correctly and all wired up okay, so what the hell?!?!?
I see on forums people saying its the sensor, just changed the sensor, but I have and it still won't go out. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR !!! It would be perfect if the light bulbs could blow lol
Back to top Go down
Mini S Mad
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
Mini S Mad

Member Number - SnM : 013
Female

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty14th January 2011, 18:10

I have recently had a similar problem where mine wouldnt go out but the sensors was wrong. I would b inclined to agree with the others as my light went out almost immediately after the correct sensor used.

There so delicate/easily broken - Finally sorted on my 3rd

Is your mini a facelifted s? I have one that has the tapered/angled end believed for a facelifted S r53 you can have cheap if your interested. Was given the wrong one by another dealer & can't use or get my ££ bck so no good to me. I can send u a pic if your interested. Can't guarantee it (although not fitted) but may b a cheaper option.

Hope u get sorted
Back to top Go down
aimeeholliday

Female

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty14th January 2011, 20:32

I got a 2002 mini cooper, not s...soo ermmm if it will fit that would be really good??
Back to top Go down
Mini S Mad
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
Mini S Mad

Female

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty14th January 2011, 21:00

aimeeholliday wrote:
I got a 2002 mini cooper, not s...soo ermmm if it will fit that would be really good??

No it got to b a 54plate + Or facelifted R53 unless u have the tapered/pointy end already

Believed it Won't fit a pre facelift or non S Sad

Sorry can't really help then

Have u tried mini matt or breakers as a cheaper non dealership option as I know how extoriante the £ are for these Sad

Back to top Go down
tazman
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty14th January 2011, 21:07

so y dont you take the light out????i had a vauxhall vectra and had the same prob from the day i got it and had it reset a few times,after around a few days it would come back on,so in the end i removed the light,,,,,,,sold it like that aswell,and it was like that for a good few year and had no worries with the mot...have you tryed to see if your abs is still working???i think i would take the bulb out.....
Back to top Go down
InsanityPrawnBoy
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
InsanityPrawnBoy

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty14th January 2011, 21:18

Although ABS systems themselves are not tested as part of the MOT the tester is supposed to check that the ABS light illuminates and then goes out upon start up indicating that the ABS system is functioning correctly, removing the bulb will (or should!) result in a test failure! Sad
Back to top Go down
tazman
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty14th January 2011, 23:02

mine never failed the mot and the abs light was out for around 6 years so guss is where you take the car for an mot...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Aaron

Aaron

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty15th January 2011, 09:02

Yeh just take it out. If it does fail the mot then worry about it then Smile
Back to top Go down
aimeeholliday

Female

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty15th January 2011, 10:26

Yeah sometimes the ABS kickes in even though the light is on..but I have traction control and that light is always on aswell as the tyre pressure and air bag lol...but apparently the ABS, traction control and tyre pressue all runs from the sensor...so if i just took the bulbs out the traction control wouldnt work...so when i came to sell it the switch at the bottom wouldnt work....but i suppose i need to work out whats the cheaper option, to sell a bit cheaper with that not working..or paying loadss for it to get fixed. I think maybe i will try one more sensor out of a breakers, only because i got this sensor of ebay lol sooo maybe its just a cheap shittyy one, but do you this the sensor is differnent if you have traction control or if you dont because my old mini didnt have traction control?
Back to top Go down
InsanityPrawnBoy
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
InsanityPrawnBoy

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty15th January 2011, 10:42

aimeeholliday wrote:
...but apparently the ABS, traction control and tyre pressue all runs from the sensor...

Indeed they do. The 'pressure monitor' actually uses the ABS sensors to measure individual wheel speeds, any difference in them would indicate one of the wheels, due to a loss of pressure, has a different rolling circumference to the others.
(Later MINIs have I believe gone to a 'direct' pressure monitoring system)

If this was mine I'd buy a genuine sensor. It may be more money but at least you'd know it was the right part, would fit and be properly warrantied!
Back to top Go down
aimeeholliday

Female

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty15th January 2011, 10:54

Okayy, well off to bmw it is ... ahh I can't wait to get paid hehe!!! And any suggestions with the airbag light??
Back to top Go down
InsanityPrawnBoy
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
InsanityPrawnBoy

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty15th January 2011, 15:11

Airbag warning light problems can usually be traced to a wiring/connection issue with the loom under one of the seats for the seat belt pretensioners etc.
Back to top Go down
tazman
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty15th January 2011, 17:41

as above its nor the seat plug,the way around that is remove the batt and cut the plugs of and soilder them back together....if you are not planning to remove the seats i would do this......done that to my vauxhall vectra and had no worries with it after,but rember to remove the batt so the computer dont know know diffrence......
Back to top Go down
Hyper Neil

Hyper Neil

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty15th January 2011, 18:35

bladetaz wrote:
as above its nor the seat plug,the way around that is remove the batt and cut the plugs of and soilder them back together....if you are not planning to remove the seats i would do this......done that to my vauxhall vectra and had no worries with it after,but rember to remove the batt so the computer dont know know diffrence......

And less likely for the bag to go off
Back to top Go down
Mini S Mad
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
Mini S Mad

Female

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty15th January 2011, 20:51

Yeh unfortunately when it comes to how sensitive these are i would go genuine.

Just a tip make sure the hole it goes in is complety clear of any old debris so it slides in perfectly otherwise it will prob get damaged again Sad My mate used some sand paper on a screwdriver

You will have to drive/move the car after having the codes reset so the car can sense the new sensor & then :fingercrossed it will go out more a less immediatly. My abs & RF light went straight out.

I thought i would b ok without my traction control but as soon any wet weather arrived i found out i couldnt.

Hope this sensor works
Back to top Go down
aimeeholliday

Female

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty16th January 2011, 23:34

well the lights only came on ever since we changed the drive shaft soo do you recon that has something to do with the lights coming on as well ??
Back to top Go down
InsanityPrawnBoy
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
InsanityPrawnBoy

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty17th January 2011, 07:06

More than likely. The ABS wheel speed sensors on each front wheel are attached to the wheel hub carriers through which each driveshaft goes. When replacing the driveshaft it's quite possible that either the tip of the sensor was damaged or even the wiring for it whilst removing/refitting the shaft.
Back to top Go down
Alex-22

Alex-22

Male

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty3rd April 2012, 13:55

My Abs and Tyre Pressure light all come on at high speed, cancels again if i stop and turn the engine off and on again.
All started when i changed the offiside rear wheel bearing because mine was absolutly shot. I replaced the bearing with an ebay jobbie rather than a genuine BMW one. Although theres nothing wrong with the bearing or part itself it does seem to make the dash board light up... interestingly only at high speed though.
Could this just be a simple compatibility issue with the sensor and the pattern bearing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Warning Lights... Vide
PostSubject: Re: Warning Lights...   Warning Lights... Empty

Back to top Go down

Warning Lights...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 1st Gen-