Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Slipping In Gear

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
aimeeholliday

Female

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty12th February 2011, 15:39

Soo, yet another problem with minzie...recently in the lower gears I have noticed when I put my foot down, the car slipps, almost as if the wheels just spin but nothing is happening. A few people have told me it could need a new clutch, but I had my clutch changed with my gearbox a few months ago. Any idea's what could be the problem?
Back to top Go down
Hartge 210
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Hartge 210

Male

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty12th February 2011, 15:51

Sounds from what you describe that the clutch is slipping Crying or Very sad, as you only had it done a short while ago could you take it back to the people that did the work??
Back to top Go down
Jamski
Club & Forum Manager: Admin
Club & Forum Manager: Admin
Jamski

Male

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty12th February 2011, 20:05

Just read this on tM. Are the wheels actually spinning?

Slipping In Gear Sig_410
Cuddle Monkey- Jack the Black Cooper - 121.8bhp - CB001 - SnM001.5  
http://www.jamesaustin.tumblr.com

And Daddy to William
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty12th February 2011, 21:50

Clutch disc / clutch pressure plate (or both). It sounds like there is not enough grip in the clutch to cope with torque as you accelerate.

As the engine speeds up the drag of the wheels means that the gearbox can't keep up.

If this is a recent replacement then suspect that the job wasn't done properly (for some reason) or the crankshaft oil seal is leaking oil on to the friction faces of the clutch.

I don't know how the clutch is released on these cars (cable or hydraulic?) but it might not be releasing properly and this is causing it not to engage.

You need to get it sorted because the clutch may 'glaze' with the slipping and then you will have to have it replaced anyway.

Back to top Go down
aimeeholliday

Female

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty13th February 2011, 09:24

Last night I was casually driving and the car stop and juddered heavy out of first gear :S. I understand this can happen when i need a new gearbox but the gearbox isnt whining or whistling :S ohhhh its sad Sad
Back to top Go down
InsanityPrawnBoy
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
InsanityPrawnBoy

Male

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty13th February 2011, 09:47

If it's juddering heavily it does sound very much like oil contamination from either the engine rear main or gearbox primary input shaft oil seals.
Back to top Go down
aimeeholliday

Female

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty4th March 2011, 12:06

Well last night, she finally gave up and broke down lol it was going into gear fine but the wheels just wernt turning so i was stuck in the middle of junction Sad . Its either the gear box or clutch. its going back to the garage where they last got changed.
Back to top Go down
tazman
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty4th March 2011, 17:26

not good,looks like you are haveing lots of problem's with minzie at the moment.hope you get it sorted soon. Sad
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty4th March 2011, 22:01

It does sound more like the clutch. A sudden failure would suggest the layshaft if it feels like it is going in to gear - but given the history the clutch sounds more likely.

Let us know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
aimeeholliday

Female

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty5th March 2011, 19:27

Yeah wel hopefully getting her back on monday, they said it might be the clutch like i might have burnt it out, but i had it changed less then 4 months ago and they said i will have to pay for another one and the labour and the petrol to get it back up to coventry!! Im like what the hell!! this isnt my first mini and the clutch never burnt out on my last one so it isnt my driving!! But this is the 3rd time this car has gone back to this garage because they changed the gearbox and they messed it up so it went back for another one lol and they changed a part on my car without asking me and just invoiced me and left a bolt hanging off my hub!!!which was very dangerous. they are a bunch of cowboys really but i havent got much choice but to send it back just incase it is the gearbox which would be under warenty (the 5 gearbox in this car!!) its just cursed, as soon as i get it back its straight up for sale. i cant deal with all the problems any more and im expecting now soo i need more of a 'family' car hehe !!
Back to top Go down
jack_st

jack_st

Male

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty5th March 2011, 20:02

sorry to hear your having soo much trouble. is the clutch under warranty because ive just had a new clutch fitted and they gave me a 2year warranty on it. get them to put a 6speed box in alot stronger than the 5 speed.
Back to top Go down
aimeeholliday

Female

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty5th March 2011, 23:37

it should be under warenty i believe but its not the bloke that fits it that warrenty's it so if its 'miss used' then i will have to pay for a new one but if its there fault and just a shit clutch then they will change it, but obviosuly they will say its been miss used, they aint going to change it for nothing lol and i would never know i suppose!! and yeah i did ask about the 6 speed because they do that but they said it would be like an extra grand i was like hahah no i don't think sooooo! And i just think she is just one of them cars that nothing going to go right for her. I just hope someone will just fall in love with the car and want it, and hopefully doesnt realise how much a of a shit heap it is lol ohh and that they dont ever read any of my threads lol
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty6th March 2011, 07:30

What crappy luck you've had Aimee Crying or Very sad

Congratulations on the baby news Very Happy

Nothing wrong with a MINI hatch as a family car, several people on here have children or you could consider a Clubman thumbs up

Keep us posted Smile

Sponsored content

Slipping In Gear Vide
PostSubject: Re: Slipping In Gear   Slipping In Gear Empty

Back to top Go down

Slipping In Gear

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 1st Gen-