Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Cooper S gearbox stiff.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dazzaxjr

Dazzaxjr

Cooper S gearbox stiff. Vide
PostSubject: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty20th October 2011, 07:34

HI,

Anyone with a cooper S, do you have problems getting it into gear sometimes?

Getting into 1st is real stiff when in traffic, and it needs a fair amount of force to get it into gear.

I've read on some forums that the gearbox oil lasts forever, but some people have reported improvements in gearchange just by replacing it.

Has anyone similar experiences?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Alice Cooper
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Member Number - SnM : 005
Female

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty20th October 2011, 09:26

No problems for me! but if your taking it in for the warranty work mention it to the dealer & get them to look at that aswell that would be my advice Wink
Back to top Go down
Marque
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3
Marque

Male

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty20th October 2011, 13:19

Hi ya

If your car is pre turbo MCSC then it could be few things. I not 100% about the later ones i think it same sort of set up
The gear change is done by two cables, the problem with this is there is a rubber gattor on the end of each cable, they split and water and dirt then get in to the cables making them stiff, spay wd40 on them while you move the gear stick in and out of gear see if it helps.
The cables do stretch but only if people have been hammering the gear Changes and would not think that's your problem
Also make shore where the ends connect to the selecter arm and go in to the gearbox are greased, which if you get some one to move the gear stick for you you will see moving if there not clean and regrease them
To look at cable ends, gators and selector cam you will have to pull out the air box assy It not a hard job
I would get you gear box oil changed anyway never hurts
I would recommend changing gearbox oil every two year or 30,000 miles or every second engine oil change. the oil deteriates with heat and moisture. Also if it never been changed it will still have the build swarf in it.

But like chris said if its under warranty take it back get them to fix it

Back to top Go down
Dazzaxjr

Dazzaxjr

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty15th December 2011, 17:33

Well after a couple of false starts and a looooong story, car finally went into the garage this week to look into the gear change problems.

After a day or so of looking at it I just had a phone call to say they're replacing the gearbox tomorrow.

Hopefully this will see the back of my problems with this car and I can get back to enjoying driving again!! Smile

Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty15th December 2011, 17:39

Good job for warranty then Smile

Totally agree about enjoying the MINI, hope to see you soon Very Happy

Dazzaxjr

Dazzaxjr

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty18th December 2011, 00:54

Picked up the mini last night.

- New Gearbox
- New bearings
- Greased cleaned cables and gear linkages
- Changed gearbox oil (obviously)

They did check the clutch whilst everything was in bits, and said that looks OK.

Overall, clutch is still heavy, gearbox is still a little notchy, but fair play to them, its a hell of a lot better now!!!

Very Happy Good job guys, Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dazzaxjr

Dazzaxjr

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty22nd January 2012, 17:25

Just a quick update!

After a months use the gearbox has loosened up a little and is now much easier to use. So overall I am a happy bunny.

It's still a little notchy, but thats all part of the Cooper S experience I guess.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty22nd January 2012, 17:30

Hey good to hear Smile

Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty22nd January 2012, 17:53

Glad to hear its sorted Very Happy

I avoided the stiff clutch by buying a works auto! Fortunately I've got a manual stashed for when I want to have a bit of fun - which incidentally has also had a gearbox!
Back to top Go down
GTTtunedMCS

Member Number - SnM : 400
Male

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty15th May 2013, 23:37

Got similar problems but been assured it just needs the cables lubed, as for heavy clutch, I also have that & been told to replace clutch kit to resolve it.
Good garage like TWG should be able to sort it if you don't fancy doing it or simply don't have the facilities to do so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooper S gearbox stiff.   Cooper S gearbox stiff. Empty

Back to top Go down

Cooper S gearbox stiff.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 1st Gen-