Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

think my mini is poorly

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jack_st

jack_st

Male

think my mini is poorly  Vide
PostSubject: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 12:54

went to check the oil today to find this on my filler cap.

think my mini is poorly  SAM_1189
think my mini is poorly  SAM_1190

Its never used any water at all so i dont think its the head gasket and it's not smokeing out the back. Ive spoke to GTT tuning and they said water might be getting in somwwhere or even a cracked block? so ive sent them some pictures to see what they say. sharons brother reckons that it might be the induction kit causeing it?
It drives fine and i cant notice any faults even when cold. maybe i should lay off the red line for a bit lol.....

Any ideas would be nice and also SVG what to you think?
im temped to take thew rocker cover off and give it a good clean out?
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 13:48

Could condensation be causing it if you only do short runs? it used to happen years ago!

PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 13:53

You do produce water (in significant amounts) as a product of combustion so it could be the head gasket Jack. More investigation needed.
Back to top Go down
jack_st

jack_st

Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 15:58

Dave i used to do short journeys about 4miles aday but for the past month ive moved yards so doing about 60miles a week.
Just taken everything apart and found the carnk case vent valve shut and wouldnt open.But after a clean up and greseing the valve now opens and closes like it should do. So im guessing that was the problem. going to order a new part to be on the safe side and im gonna take the rocker cover off and give it a realy good clean up and get ride of the gunk. then see what happens.
Thanks bandit for your grease! oh err Laughing
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 17:21

Good to hear it wasn't something major Jack Smile

I remember when breathers used to get blocked the same thing happen but I'm talking some some years ago Wink

jack_st

jack_st

Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 17:25

before my time then. lol......
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 17:31

Good news Jack! Smile
Back to top Go down
Bandit 65

Bandit 65

Member Number - SnM : 300
Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 17:37

jack_st wrote:
Dave i used to do short journeys about 4miles aday but for the past month ive moved yards so doing about 60miles a week.
Just taken everything apart and found the carnk case vent valve shut and wouldnt open.But after a clean up and greseing the valve now opens and closes like it should do. So im guessing that was the problem. going to order a new part to be on the safe side and im gonna take the rocker cover off and give it a realy good clean up and get ride of the gunk. then see what happens.
Thanks bandit for your grease! oh err Laughing

Thats ok Jack next time I need greese inserting I know where to come Jaw Drop

And look at you using the correct name (crank case vent valve) you called it one of them when you came round
Back to top Go down
jack_st

jack_st

Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty12th November 2011, 21:17

Yes im all posh now
Back to top Go down
Marque
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3
Marque

Male

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty13th November 2011, 00:08

Jack

If you are still running a catch tank and an induction kit, short journeys and the weather being wet and damp It is to be expected.
Just clean out as much as you can. If its not using coolant I would not worry about it to much.
If you want to 100% get the cooling system pressure checked and a block crack check done, but like I say if its not using coolant I would not worry to much.

Back to top Go down
Station View Garage

Station View Garage

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty21st November 2011, 10:19

Hi Jack,

Just been trying to catch up with forum stuff, personally we would put in an oil flush/Treatment, run it for approx 10 minutes, then drain the engine oil and renew the oil and filter. Its probably down to the short journeys, it would be worth doing anyway.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: think my mini is poorly    think my mini is poorly  Empty

Back to top Go down

think my mini is poorly

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 1st Gen-