Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
cjm

cjm

Male

R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues Vide
PostSubject: R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues   R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues Empty26th May 2012, 21:48

Is anyone else becoming aware of the noisy cooling fan on their N18 as air temps rise?
Mine's always been on constantly after the engine warms up and stays on for a minute or 2 after switching off, (Feb 2012 - 2000mls) especially with the air-con working!
Dealer originally inferred it'll settle down but recently changed the thermostat. Symptoms remain...
Another (further) return to the dealer + the thermostat's ok, apparently...but fan activity still persists with all it's gusto. Nothing else tested, it seems.
Some BMW/MINI techs I've spoken to think it shouldn't happen, unless crawling along in a Bank Holiday jam, perhaps.

Is anyone else having to cope with this, or hoping it's normal 'cos nobody's shouting about it, or am I suffering alone?

Back to top Go down
Solarin
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7
Solarin

Male

PostSubject: Re: R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues   R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues Empty28th May 2012, 20:49

Mine comes on from time to time in this weather, but not noticed it excessively - I'll keep a closer listen out next time I'm driving and get back to you!
Back to top Go down
cjm

cjm

Male

PostSubject: Re: R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues   R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues Empty28th May 2012, 21:56

Thanks Solarin. It's easy to miss when you've got the music on.
Does your engine fan start up when you switch off + run for ~30-60secs or so.
Some people are experiencing this; some dealers are claiming it's 'normal' or a 'feature...'
Back to top Go down
*Vikki*

*Vikki*

Female

PostSubject: Re: R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues   R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues Empty28th May 2012, 22:25

Davids roadster does this too, all the time when you turn the engine off and keeps coming on whilst driving it. Guessed it was normal?
Back to top Go down
cjm

cjm

Male

PostSubject: Re: R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues   R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues Empty22nd June 2012, 08:14

Finally a solution on Thur 15/06/12 and it has been running perfectly for a week!

Initially 'fixed' with a new thermostat. After three return visits (when the dealer kept diagnosing it as 'normal') it was tested alongside another N18, re-confirming the original fan anomaly from a month ago.

Kept for a week for lots of coolant bleeding, since an air-lock was suspected, then another new thermostat was fitted. Now there's been no cooling fan activity during the journey nor is there any activity after switching-off. More normal now, I feel.

Temperatures are generally lower; 219 degF and varying compared to 225 degF and static so I suppose the faulty 'stat must have kept the cooling fan going to stop it overheating...

So, job done after lots of frustration/anxiety.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues   R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues Empty

Back to top Go down

R56 MCS N18 cooling fan issues

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 2nd Gen-