Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Warming up in under a mile

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alex-22

Alex-22

Male

Warming up in under a mile Vide
PostSubject: Warming up in under a mile   Warming up in under a mile Empty19th July 2012, 09:13

My car seems to be warming up in under a mile at the moment! this can't be normal?
I have a 17% pulley on the charger and the car is using mineral oil for the running in process.
Obviously i'm driving it carefully at the moment, the route i take is basically flat except for a short hill i have to go up when i leave my house.
the temp remains constant when i get to normal running temp but it just gets there super quick. coolant levels are fine tho.

i know these things run hot but it seems a bit odd to me Sad
Back to top Go down
tazman
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: Warming up in under a mile   Warming up in under a mile Empty19th July 2012, 17:41

Mine is the same,thay always get to normal running tep quick,I have a 15% pulley fitted,had no probs with overheating etc........
Back to top Go down
bruce62
Club Endorser 4
Club Endorser 4
bruce62

Member Number - SnM : 62
Male

PostSubject: Re: Warming up in under a mile   Warming up in under a mile Empty19th July 2012, 17:48

Mines the same thumbs up . It's always got to running temp pretty quick ,
Back to top Go down
jack_st

jack_st

Male

PostSubject: Re: Warming up in under a mile   Warming up in under a mile Empty21st July 2012, 11:33

what intercool are you running with the 17% pulley?
Back to top Go down
Alex-22

Alex-22

Male

PostSubject: Re: Warming up in under a mile   Warming up in under a mile Empty21st July 2012, 12:08

GRS intercooler Smile
Back to top Go down
coopert
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
coopert

Male

PostSubject: Re: Warming up in under a mile   Warming up in under a mile Empty21st July 2012, 19:54

Don't worry it is a characteristic of a car with a small coolant capacity and a good thermostat! Perfectly normal and not related to charger speed. Tanya has a Suzuki jeep which takes an egg cup of coolant to fill the radiator and that hits 80 degrees in seconds in mid winter! Only panic if the needle keeps going! lol!
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Warming up in under a mile   Warming up in under a mile Empty22nd July 2012, 07:44

Manufacturers have worked out that to get great economy you have to get the engine to temperature quickly so less coolant volume achieves this.

Some also have 'on demand' oil and water pumps so they only pump when needed further fuel efficiency.

Electric steering on the current MINIs as opposed to hydraulic on the Gen 1s further improves consumption because you are not turning the pump all the time. The electric step motor also allows for automatic parking (for those who like replacing their tyres more often!).

Have a look at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rxJkVzUxI&feature=fvwrel to see the step motor in action on a Ford Focus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warming up in under a mile   Warming up in under a mile Empty

Back to top Go down

Warming up in under a mile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 1st Gen-