Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Baggins

Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Vide
PostSubject: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty8th August 2012, 21:39

Have just been told that the 'funny noise' (a whining) in my daughters 04 Cooper (50,000m) is from the gearbox. Apparently this is a fairly common fault with the earlier Rover Midland gearboxes fitted on this model and that they were replaced in 04. Seems like Bank of M&D will have to cough up for a replacement gearbox. (When does it end?) Can anyone recommend local to the Camberley area, a reliable supply & fit company that doesn't charge BMW dealer prices? Thank you
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty8th August 2012, 21:53

Why don't you give our new sponsors - TWG Automotive a call. They are in Camberley.

See http://www.twgautomotive.co.uk/

Mention the club and let us all know how you get on.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty8th August 2012, 22:02

As Phil said, they are based just off the Frimley Rd at the Camberley end Smile

Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty8th August 2012, 22:51

Can't remember where I saw it but I did see somewhere advertising conversion to the newer 5 speed Getrag gearbox - if you're planning to keep the car it may be worth considering this, although it will be more expensive...
Back to top Go down
Club & Forum Manager: Admin

Member Number - SnM : 118
Male

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty8th August 2012, 23:55

Definitely contact TWG and speak to Will, he'll be able to advise you, I'm sure! Make sure you let him know you're from Surrey New MINI, as they offer a discount to members Smile

A bit of info: https://surreynewmini.forumotion.com/t5575-hello

You can also post in their forum here for advice, etc, or PM them Smile

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty9th August 2012, 17:35

Many thanks to you all for the advice. Visited TWG today and have booked mini in for next week as was immediately impressed with Will and his total knowledge of all things mini. Felt assured that the mini will be in good hands as I have had heard horror stories of replacement boxes and engines. Good price with Surrey New Mini discount and will include 12 months warrenty.
Will said that even though the Rover Midland box that is fitted in her car was replaced in late 04 cars, the replacement box also has some issues. Just hope it lasts until next week. Glad to find someone local. I'll just have to get her to clear out her wardrobe from the car!
I'll let you know how things go.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Davyboy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty9th August 2012, 21:03

Great to hear Smile

I've seen my daughters car, travelling wardrode is a understatement lol!

Member Number - SnM : 118
Male

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty9th August 2012, 22:54

That's excellent news, glad Will can help you out! Let us know how you get on, as it'd be nice for TWG to have some feedback on here - they've only just recently become a sponsor, so it'd be nice for them and for our members too Very Happy

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty19th August 2015, 22:28

Hi I don't know if I'm on the right forum but I've looked at a 2006 cooper with 93000 miles and I would like some advice on what's likely to be a problem.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Davyboy

Male

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty20th August 2015, 19:16

Hi Tony, yes it was me who pointed you here.

Will at TWG has a vast knowledge so give him a shout, phone number under the sponsors pages..

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement   Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

Noisy Cooper gearbox replacement

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 2nd Gen-