Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Automatic Transmission Fluid

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Moon

Moon

Male

Automatic Transmission Fluid Vide
PostSubject: Automatic Transmission Fluid   Automatic Transmission Fluid Empty1st November 2012, 23:49

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any experience of getting their automatic transmission fluid changed in an r53? I'm tempted to have mine done, but I've read mixed 'theories' on this and wondered if anyone had any actual experience.

One dealer I've spoke to says they do it on Inspection 2, but I'm not entirely convinced they do as a lot of other places state it's sealed for life...

Anyone got any ideas?!

Thanks
Back to top Go down
mab01uk

mab01uk

Male

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid   Automatic Transmission Fluid Empty2nd November 2012, 00:18

Most automatic transmissions and many manual gearboxes are now said to be 'sealed for life' by manufacturers these days, however if you intend keeping the car long term it is worth ignoring such advice and changing the fluid as in the 'old days'. BMW/MINI will not replace ypur transmission or gearbox out of warranty if it fails......

It is a fact many early Mini's would not have had failed Midland gearbox bearings if the oil/fluid had been changed at some point.......you only have to see the state of what often drains out to see why it is a false economy for long term owners.
Back to top Go down
TWG-Automotive
SnM Sponsor
SnM Sponsor
TWG-Automotive

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid   Automatic Transmission Fluid Empty5th November 2012, 17:04

No oil is lifetime. BMW say their gearbox oils are lifetime to reduce service costs so on paper they appear cheaper to maintain. I have never known any issue with changing the auto gearbox oil unless there is already a fault present and people are changing the oil as a last chance fix or if the wrong oil is used.

An R53 has a normal auto box rather than a CVT so the oil is not changed every inspection like on a CVT car. We haven't seen many issues with the MINI autobox but on BMW autoboxs we recommend changing the oil before you get to 100K and on things like early X5s even earlier!

Back to top Go down
http://www.twgautomotive.co.uk
Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid   Automatic Transmission Fluid Empty5th November 2012, 22:55

Perfect thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Automatic Transmission Fluid   Automatic Transmission Fluid Empty

Back to top Go down

Automatic Transmission Fluid

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 1st Gen-