Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chubby Checker
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
Chubby Checker

Member Number - SnM : 383
Female

Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Vide
PostSubject: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 10:01

New to Minis and don't know how they are supposed to hold together...

Got a 9 month old hatchback mini and it hasn't had any majoir knocks or rattles until now... when cold outside, it has developed squeaking coming from both doors which is really loud.

But after about 10 minutes of driving with the heating on the sound all but disappears.

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's the rubber which has hardened in the extreme cold or something like that?

Anyone had this as well?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Club & Forum Manager: Admin
Club & Forum Manager: Admin

Member Number - SnM : 118
Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 11:14

It probably is the rubber, I had this the other week with all the snow and cold weather, and I know of others as well - I seem to remember someone mentioning something you can put on the rubber to sort of condition and lubricate it! Smile

Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
Mini S Mad

Member Number - SnM : 013
Female

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 15:41

I would have thought Vaseline or wd40 would work but don't quote me. I always had this on. Y r53
Back to top Go down
Mike

Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 16:25

Bushes/rubbers are getting cold and drying up.
Lube away my friend you will enjoy your ride without the squeals Big Grin
Back to top Go down
devilsplayground

devilsplayground

Member Number - SnM : 283
Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 18:11

My ride squeals more with more lube Whistle
Oops, sorry, wrong site Razz

Seriously though, you should drive a 1st gen and you might appreciate how quiet your MINI really is! I never feel lonely in my R53, there's always a new rattle, squeak or knock to keep me company!
Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 18:14

My r53 is surprisingly squeak and rattle free! Its just a shame that's the only positive regarding build quality!!!
Back to top Go down
Chubby Checker
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
Chubby Checker

Member Number - SnM : 383
Female

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 18:26

Thanks all...

I went out again this afternoon after scraping off more ice and no squeaking... weird because it was really loud and on both sides. I think it must only be when it's sub-zero.

Now that's stopped I can hear the eeking noise coming from the centre speedo again... as the Smart Owners Club used to tell us... it's time to turn the radio up LOUD lol! .

(ps - I'm afraid to ask but... how many rattles do Minis normally get? Can they be cured?)
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 21:39

Chubby Checker wrote:
Thanks all...

I went out again this afternoon after scraping off more ice and no squeaking... weird because it was really loud and on both sides. I think it must only be when it's sub-zero.

Now that's stopped I can hear the eeking noise coming from the centre speedo again... as the Smart Owners Club used to tell us... it's time to turn the radio up LOUD lol! .

(ps - I'm afraid to ask but... how many rattles do Minis normally get? Can they be cured?)

Same here in the really cold weather until it warms up.....

Do MINI's have rattles? yes although they are covered under warranty Smile

Or do as I do and play tunes I like REALLY LOUD lol!

Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 21:41

Davyboy wrote:

When you've only got the Wave tape player, you can't do that so have to love the rattles!!!
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 21:48

Moon wrote:
Davyboy wrote:

When you've only got the Wave tape player, you can't do that so have to love the rattles!!!

Strap one off these on the back seat James lol!

Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Ghettoblaster

Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 22:55

Looks like that could be a plan! Does it also have the facility to play those shiny round noise makers everyone is raving about!?
Back to top Go down
devilsplayground

devilsplayground

Member Number - SnM : 283
Male

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty25th January 2013, 23:19

My "shiny round noise maker" player gave up a long time ago (why did MINI choose a Harman Kardon system that doesn't last the life of the car?!?)
I have become immune to the usual noises but I still get suprised with a new one every now and again!!
At least the supercharger whine and the exhaust warble give me lots of aural pleasure cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...   Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold... Empty

Back to top Go down

Squeaky doors - but only when it's really cold...

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 2nd Gen-