Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Geekeye
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Geekeye

Member Number - SnM : 305
Male

R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Vide
PostSubject: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty15th May 2013, 21:28

As the title says really, I had my Inspection service done about 4 weeks ago and then about two weeks ago my car starting sounding like a group B rally car in every gear throughout the RPM range, Popping and spiting and scaring old grannies etc ! The only thing that was missing was the Flames out of the back (i wish)!

In my denial I first suspected that the service had somehow turned my Car into an all out monster based on it receiving a new clean air filter, new plugs and V belt etc? Had the ECU readapted and rewarded me for my care and attention in replacing service parts on time and from an authorised dealer? What a plum I here you all say!

Last week when I realised the noise was getting even louder (noted by a few of the neighbours curtains flapping at around 6:30 in the morning) It soon dawned on me that I may have a blowing exhaust!

Long and short of is that it was blowing right next to the tail pipe exit on top of the near side back box close to the rubber hangar! I'm Absolutely gutted as i didn't expect my Stainless steel JCW to go like a normal one! You can't see the hole from underneath, you have to put you hand right around the box until you reach the inner hangar hook!

Now the bad news... A new replacement genuine JCW exhaust from BMW! I just didn't realise how much these things were going for!

£490.00 retail! The misses is not happy, I'm having it fitted on Friday!

Has this happened to any other fellow JCW owners?

If you thinking of buying a 2nd hand R53 JCW, make sure you get a mirror in there and check around those back box exhaust hangar hooks! From underneath you may think you have a shiny, good condition exhaust but appearances can be deceiving!..

If I can get a photo on Friday I will.
Back to top Go down
GTTtunedMCS

Member Number - SnM : 400
Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty15th May 2013, 22:07

Why not upgrade to a Milltek while you have the chance?
Genuine JCW parts are not really good quality or value sadly.
Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty15th May 2013, 22:51

Photos would be good please Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GTTtunedMCS

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty15th May 2013, 23:25

The best price that I've seen for a Milltek cat back system appears to be around £523 so for very little more than the JCW one, you should get A : a performance increase & B: a better quality exhaust.
Depends if you have already placed a firm order & whether you want to pay a bit more?
Back to top Go down
Club & Forum Manager: Admin
Club & Forum Manager: Admin

Member Number - SnM : 118
Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty15th May 2013, 23:50

It was a bit of a common fault on the 1st gen JCW's, my exhaust on my first one went exactly the same way as yours, but fortunately my car was in warranty at the time. I've heard of it happening to other JCW owners, and on GP's too Smile

Coopers S

Member Number - SnM : 367
Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty16th May 2013, 11:39

I changed to a Milltek and pleased I did. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
emu-p

emu-p

Member Number - SnM : SnM086, PW011, NmS008
Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty16th May 2013, 14:30

Never been lucky enough to own a JCW or stainless steel exhaust but have now had 7 Minis 2 X ONE, 3 x Cooper, 1 x Cooper S & now a Cooper SD and never had to replace an exhaust! My last D had done 120K and was 8 years old have I just been lucky??
Back to top Go down
Geekeye
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Geekeye

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty16th May 2013, 15:03

GTTtunedMCS wrote:
The best price that I've seen for a Milltek cat back system appears to be around £523 so for very little more than the JCW one, you should get A : a performance increase & B: a better quality exhaust.
Depends if you have already placed a firm order & whether you want to pay a bit more?

I did look into a miltek but the cheapest I could find was about £590 so went off the idea.

I have managed to get them to drop the price and fit it for nought so will stick with it now.

I've just noticed your a Newbury member, will keep an eye out for your MINI.
Back to top Go down
Geekeye
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Geekeye

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty16th May 2013, 15:15

118 wrote:
It was a bit of a common fault on the 1st gen JCW's, my exhaust on my first one went exactly the same way as yours, but fortunately my car was in warranty at the time. I've heard of it happening to other JCW owners, and on GP's too Smile

Cheers for the INFO Ian. I didn't realise it was a common problem, considering the amount of research I did on them before I purchased. I wonder if most were replaced under warranty so didn't make the Internet as bad press?

To be honest if the new one lasts another 9 years it won't be my concern at the end of day.
Back to top Go down
Geekeye
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Geekeye

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty16th May 2013, 15:18

emu-p wrote:
Never been lucky enough to own a JCW or stainless steel exhaust but have now had 7 Minis 2 X ONE, 3 x Cooper, 1 x Cooper S & now a Cooper SD and never had to replace an exhaust! My last D had done 120K and was 8 years old have I just been lucky??

You could say I've be unlucky enough then in owning a JCW lol!
Back to top Go down
*Vikki*

*Vikki*

Female

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty16th May 2013, 15:38

Odd I didnt thinks ss rusted! Do they not come with a life time garuntee? I know my play MINI exhaust was ss and did Smile
Back to top Go down
pocket rocket

Member Number - SnM : 391
Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty16th May 2013, 15:57

Just been over to my car and checked the back boxes on mine , all look ok , mind you the amount of waxin an polishing they get it's any wonder there' no sign of rust , mind you if they gonna rust , it must be from the inside out.
Back to top Go down
Geekeye
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Geekeye

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty16th May 2013, 16:17

*Vikki* wrote:
Odd I didnt thinks ss rusted! Do they not come with a life time garuntee? I know my play MINI exhaust was ss and did Smile

Your right Vikki they shouldn't hence my disappointment when mine did! No lifetime guarantee with MINI parts. 2 years is all you get unless you have a warranty like TLC for example.

As a technician I would put it down to dissimilar metal corrosion from the welding solder used in attaching the hangar hook to the back box, couple this with dirt and crap ingress around this location building up over the years and then rain and surface water soaking
In results in the inevitable.
Back to top Go down
Geekeye
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Geekeye

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty17th May 2013, 17:13

Moon wrote:
Photos would be good please Very Happy

R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Photo11

All replaced now Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty17th May 2013, 17:23

Thanks. Very Happy. Will check mine now!

What replacement did you go for in the end?
Back to top Go down
Geekeye
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Geekeye

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty17th May 2013, 17:34

The Genuine JCW Rear silencer Part No: M18.20.7.545.128.

I managed to get quite a substantial discount from my local dealer and free fitting as I was having some other work done out of good will, so I couldn't justify the extra cost of the Miltek.
Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty17th May 2013, 18:31

Sounds good to me Very Happy I'd stick with the JCW exhaust too personally, keeps it original! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GTTtunedMCS

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty18th May 2013, 10:19

You're bound to see me around as I live on the thatcham side of Newbury. Mainly in a black transit which is sign written late at night on the way home! Generally MINI is used at weekends though.
Where did you get your exhaust done in the end. Not been overly impressed by two of the local MINI dealers tbh.
Back to top Go down
GTTtunedMCS

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty18th May 2013, 10:21

If mine goes, I'll go Milltek, at least you get warranty, better quality & performance. So much for genuine MINI parts. Generally cheap crap which is expensive to buy.
Back to top Go down
Geekeye
Club Endorser 1
Club Endorser 1
Geekeye

Male

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty19th May 2013, 20:42

GTTtunedMCS wrote:
You're bound to see me around as I live on the thatcham side of Newbury. Mainly in a black transit which is sign written late at night on the way home! Generally MINI is used at weekends though.
Where did you get your exhaust done in the end. Not been overly impressed by two of the local MINI dealers tbh.

Had it done at Dick lovett, Hungerford. I wasn't impressed with Cooper reading's prices on some parts a couple of years back so have stayed clear of them.

I know what your saying about Milltek but like Moon I like keeping my car original original spec. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!   R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)! Empty

Back to top Go down

R53 JCW Stainless steel Exhaust Blowing (9 years old)!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 1st Gen-