Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Tsar

OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Vide
PostSubject: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty7th August 2013, 19:00

I recently purchased a Mini One - 51 plate. There were many things to repair and replace but I've finally got everything sorted except for the outside temp guage reading. Here's the curious thing... when I bought the car the guage registerd -40 degrees. When I investigated the sensor was actually missing. It's now been replaced with a known working one. However, now the guage does not register anything at all.... does it need resetting or something? I've disconnected the battery for 10 minutes a couple of times as I've been lead to believe this might reset the sensor... but no joy.

Any thoughts on home DIY trouble shooting the problem would be appreciated. Replies like 'take it to a dealer' won't be ... Lol.

Cheers
The Tsar.
Back to top Go down
tazman
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty7th August 2013, 20:35

I had the sameprob,when you unplug your external temperature gauge and plug it back in it sets to the min reading (-40f - or I guess -40 c - both the same thing) and takes a while to get back to where it should be - so be patient. Think if I rember it was around a week befor mine got back to norm,hope this helps you out,
Back to top Go down
The Tsar

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty7th August 2013, 21:21

Thanks. Just to reiterate. The gauge shows nothing now... As though its completely dead. But it used to show -40 degrees.
Any further thoughts??
Back to top Go down
tazman
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty7th August 2013, 21:41

Has it got the - - lines on it if it had its resting,if it has not I would try to unplug and plug back on just to see if it works
Back to top Go down
The Tsar

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty8th August 2013, 06:54

NO - the lines have gone and the display is 'dead'

It used to work or at least show the usual -40 degrees but no longer...
Is there fuse or connection to the display that can be checked?
cheers

Tsar
Back to top Go down
TWG-Automotive
SnM Sponsor
SnM Sponsor
TWG-Automotive

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty8th August 2013, 10:42

sounds like it may need a new rev counter as it sounds like it isn't communicating to the main instrument cluster where it gets its signal from. However this is a guess as I haven't seen the car.

Back to top Go down
http://www.twgautomotive.co.uk
The Tsar

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty10th August 2013, 21:14

HI,
Rev counter is working fine, back lights are working fine when side lights or main head lights are switched on.
Just no readings on the air temperature display at all... Is there a ribbon cable that connects this unit to the main wireing loom (like a computer ribbon cable)?? Is there an inline fuse or relay I can check?
I've googled this topic extensively but information seems hard to come by!!!

Any help appreciated.

Cheers Smile

tsar
Back to top Go down
tazman
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty10th August 2013, 23:08

If I was you I would ask someone to take there's off and put on your just to see if it works that way you can see if its is you clock or not than go from there
Back to top Go down
The Tsar

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty12th September 2013, 16:13

Ha Ha fixed - it was the rev counter unit that had failed - replaced it with a unit from ebay and .... 'bob's your uncle' it worked first time!!

Thanks for all the posts and advice  - i'm sure i'll need some more soon Smile

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY   OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY Empty

Back to top Go down

OUTSIDE AIR TEMP GUAGE/DISPLAY

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Faults & Fixes :: 1st Gen-