Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Tappety rattle on first start

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
martins

Member Number - SnM : 411
Male

Tappety rattle on first start Vide
PostSubject: Tappety rattle on first start   Tappety rattle on first start Empty5th December 2013, 18:04

Hi,

My 1st Gen Mini Cooper S has an occasional habit of sounding really quite tappety on the first start. What's odd, is no matter how long the engine has been running once I first start (as short as a few seconds), a turn off and a 2nd start completely clears it. Once it's cleared, it generally doesn't happen again until the car has been resting for a few days. It sounds like oil starvation making the tappets noisy, but I don't know these engines well enough to know what is what.

I've taken a video of it below. Any ideas?

Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tappety rattle on first start   Tappety rattle on first start Empty5th December 2013, 18:08

Probably the tensioner, mine did it when the engine was cold started.
Back to top Go down
martins

Member Number - SnM : 411
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tappety rattle on first start   Tappety rattle on first start Empty5th December 2013, 18:53

Thanks for the quick reply, is the tensioner on the drivers side of the head? That's where the sound seems loudest?
Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Tappety rattle on first start   Tappety rattle on first start Empty5th December 2013, 19:03

I think so yes, not sure how much the part was as I always extended the warranty, however it wasn't a big job to do apparently, and it's quite a common fault.
Back to top Go down
devilsplayground

devilsplayground

Member Number - SnM : 283
Male

PostSubject: Re: Tappety rattle on first start   Tappety rattle on first start Empty5th December 2013, 19:52

My R53 has exactly the same fault. I had the tensioner changed and it seemed to help for a while but every now and again it comes back. As long as you make sure the tensioner has been changed and the car always has enough oil then it really isn't anything to worry about.
My MINI has a new noise everyday but I like to call it CHARACTER!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tappety rattle on first start   Tappety rattle on first start Empty

Back to top Go down

Tappety rattle on first start

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 1st Gen-