Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Lower steering wheel trim

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

Lower steering wheel trim Vide
PostSubject: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty28th January 2014, 21:30

Hi people

I have ordered a CF lower centre steering wheel trim as mine has been damaged by the wife with her ring (on her finger!!). Seen a few guides about how to replace it. Seems you have to take the airbag off and disconnect the battery. The last battery I disconnected was in the 80s. What happens these days? Any fault codes come on? Can the trim be replaced by not removing the centre airbag or disconnecting the battery ? Your thoughts please. Thanks - Rob.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty28th January 2014, 21:36

Never done it but sure I read somewhere that it just pops out with the aid of a small screwdriver.

I saw a diagram of where to place the screwdriver but can't remember where I saw it?

May have been on here!

NeilAndHisMini
Events Support
Events Support
NeilAndHisMini

Member Number - SnM : 071
Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty28th January 2014, 21:36

There's a how to do it guide posted by Pat (Emu) on tM:

http://www.totalmini.com/forum/18-2006-2014-2nd-generation/3015-bling-up-steering-wheel.html

I still haven't got brave enough to try it on my 1st gen  Smile
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty28th January 2014, 21:38

Just found it on here as well  Wink 

https://surreynewmini.forumotion.com/t6882-bling-up-your-steering-wheel?highlight=Steering+wheel+trim#179607

Gazza

Gazza

Member Number - SnM : SNM 415
Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty28th January 2014, 21:47

Picked up my referbed steering wheel today had alcantara replaced with perferated leather on the sides all finished with red stiching looks and feels lovley. We took off my airbag witout disconnecting battery & i think lower trim just pops off
Back to top Go down
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty28th January 2014, 22:01

Thanks everyone. I'll have a good look before I attempt it.
Back to top Go down
SpykeyMyk
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
SpykeyMyk

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty31st January 2014, 22:45

I wouldn't attempt this without disconecting the battery at the least the car could throw an error but worse the airbag could go off in your face
Back to top Go down
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty1st February 2014, 09:30

SpykeyMyk wrote:
I wouldn't attempt this without disconecting the battery at the least the car could throw an error but worse the airbag could go off in your face

Thanks. It will hopefully arrive today. I will do the right thing. Perhaps when I reconnect, I'll get my pops back that I lost after the flash update  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty1st February 2014, 09:59

Yep. Just arrived. Came in a Minisport bag which is a blast from the past- I used to buy untold stuff of them in the 80's when I was modding a 1275 GT!!
Back to top Go down
Dermottdog
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty1st February 2014, 13:25

Update - all done. Looks good. Biggest problem was setting the clock afterwards.
Back to top Go down
SpykeyMyk
Club Endorser 2
Club Endorser 2
SpykeyMyk

Male

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty1st February 2014, 14:54

Dermottdog wrote:
Update - all done. Looks good. Biggest problem was setting the clock afterwards.

Thats the only downside. I cant understand why its not like a Vauxhall gets the data from the RDS feed on the radio
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lower steering wheel trim   Lower steering wheel trim Empty

Back to top Go down

Lower steering wheel trim

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Interior & Interior Electronics :: 2nd Gen-