Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Leaking oil control solenoid valve

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jelster

Jelster

Member Number - SnM : 011
Male

Leaking oil control solenoid valve Vide
PostSubject: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty27th February 2016, 09:19

My wifes R56 Mini One has been in the workshop for a couple of days with a faulty sensor.  They are now telling us that the oil control solenoid valve is leaking and it's the best part of £400 to sort out.  I'm not very happy as the extended warranty only ran out in December Rolling Eyes

Looks like this is a fairly common issue on the R56 (even though it's done less than 15k miles), and I know I need to get it sorted.  Can anybody recommend a good independant workshop, not forgetting that we're in Uxbridge, not deepest darkest Surrey/Sussex.

I'm also inclined to consider moving it on, I don't like it when cars start to cost me money which isn't pleasurable !!  It's a lovely car but two problems at such low milage doesn't fill me with confidence.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty27th February 2016, 10:40

Can't say I've heard of this issue Steve, if it's a common issue have you tried asking them to ask MINI for some goodwill? Are you talking about Berry? If so you are a regular customer so won't hurt them to give a discount!

I only know TWG in Camberley ot SRR who are at the coast, don't know anyone your way I'm afraid.

It won't hurt asking Will at TWG, if they are a lot cheaper it's worth a little drive...

cjm

cjm

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty7th March 2016, 08:51

Jelster, I think this was the 'oil-wicking' issue which seemed more prevalent on the 2010 - 2012 R56s.

It was a known issue at the time (first noticed on NAM) and my 2012 N18 MCS was duly fixed after I checked and spotted a small leak at the back of the sump, which I reported to my local dealer.

For me MINI dismantled the sump and fitted new gasket(s?)  and a modified solenoid or sensor (I think) along with extra sealant around the solenoid/sump area.

I gather the wiring loom attached to this unit needs replacing, too, since it becomes saturated with oil which 'wicks' its way upwards towards the more central part of the loom; so IMO it might be worth bringing this part of the fix to your indy's attention, too.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
supa-dupa

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty7th March 2016, 17:43

I had it happen on my R57 MINI One, they found it on the end of warranty check!
Back to top Go down
cjm

cjm

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty7th March 2016, 18:33

Yep, I suppose all the R55 - R59 variants of that 2010 - 2013ish era that shared the common part were affected.
Cor, you were lucky then...
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty10th March 2016, 21:26

Was there a mod post 2013 Chris?
Back to top Go down
cjm

cjm

Male

PostSubject: Re: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty10th March 2016, 22:25

My current N18 R56 was reg'd on 28/2/14 and I've always assumed that the factory fix had been incorporated by then since the thermostat relocation, which happened a little before that, has been sorted...
(Having said that, I think I'll have a good look at the oil solenoid harness/sensor area tomorrow...)

Yup it's as dry as a bone around that harness, thank goodness...
Back to top Go down
Jelster

Jelster

Member Number - SnM : 011
Male

PostSubject: Re: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty12th March 2016, 09:47

Well as the car is only a month or so out of extended warranty and it was a known issue, I'll be asking my dealer to fix it with a serious chunk of "good will"....

Seeing as we bought yet another Mini off of them last weekend (that will be the 5th) I think they owe me a favour or two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leaking oil control solenoid valve   Leaking oil control solenoid valve Empty

Back to top Go down

Leaking oil control solenoid valve

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 2nd Gen-