Surrey New MINI
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey New MINI Owners Club

HomeHomeSearchRegisterLog in

click here to visit our sponsors

Share | 

Post Run in Oil Change

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Solarin
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7
Solarin

Male

Post Run in Oil Change Vide
PostSubject: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty24th August 2016, 20:30

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience on when it is best to change the oil when/after running in.

While I know it is not strictly necessary with modern cars and it will be probably fine without a change, I'm probably going to get one done seeing the gunk that comes out with the oil after other new cars have been run in..

Is it best to do it after 500 miles? 1000 miles? 2000 miles?

Any comments would be appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Club & Forum Manager: Moderator
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty24th August 2016, 21:23

Why bother Mike as you change cars so quick I'd save the cost towards your next new one that must be getting close Wink lol!

Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty24th August 2016, 21:27

No point, it's all done when the engine is run in on the bench. The metal particle build up isn't anywhere near as significant as it once was. Mini etc don't spend millions testing an engine to get something as simple as the oil change interval wrong!
Back to top Go down
J0RDAN

J0RDAN

Member Number - SnM : 460
Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty25th August 2016, 11:18

if it was me and i was going to keep the car i would do it.
anytime after 1000 miles id say.
if you do it yourself its cheap so why not
Back to top Go down
Solarin
Club Endorser 7
Club Endorser 7
Solarin

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty25th August 2016, 21:18

OK, thanks for the advice everyone Smile
Back to top Go down
PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty26th August 2016, 10:43

Modern engines are made to higher tolerances and are said to need to use the initial oil to complete the running in process so you may be better off leaving it in there.

I note some say you don't need to run in engines these days. I have to say I disagree with that view. Interestingly (or not) my F56 JCW has not used any oil in 3,000 miles. I follow the running in instructions and my cars generally don't use oil. So I will stick with my approach.
Back to top Go down
Davyboy
Davyboy

Member Number - SnM : 007
Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty26th August 2016, 10:54

PhilT wrote:

I note some say you don't need to run in engines these days. I have to say I disagree with that view. Interestingly (or not) my F56 JCW has not used any oil in 3,000 miles. I follow the running in instructions and my cars generally don't use oil. So I will stick with my approach.

It is interesting the different views Phil, my N14 engine JCW never used a drop between services in over 4 years, not run in yet everyone said they use oil!

The biggest issue I have with BMW/MINI's instruction to run in, is they need to practice what they preach! Every dealer I've gone to give demos a hard time and known customers cars to also get a hard time! having worked on Slyfield Ind Est for many years I see all makes do the same!

Or do they know something we don't?

PhilT
Club Endorser 3
Club Endorser 3

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty26th August 2016, 11:02

I agree with you re dealers which is why I bought our Coupe with only 193 miles on the clock, and which is why I only do while you wait servicing. That way they can't be tempted.
Back to top Go down
Moon

Moon

Male

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty26th August 2016, 23:21

All our demos are ran with no special treatment/sympathy from new. Even seeing customers returning after 80k with an ex demo and no mechanical problems are present - and that's a driving instructor's car! Just drive it normally and it'll be fine - spend all of your time bouncing it off the limiter and you're going to knacker it - but that's the same with any engine!

Personally, I just drove mine. Didn't think anything of it at all. And not one of the problems I've had has been engine related. Engines are bench run in now - the cost to program a robot to do it, and the subsequent fuel cost is significantly lower than covering engine damage due to customer's not running them in properly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Post Run in Oil Change   Post Run in Oil Change Empty

Back to top Go down

Post Run in Oil Change

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Surrey New MINI :: MINI's, Parts & Mods :: Engine & Tuning :: 3rd Gen-